1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of continuous random variables

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A random variable has distribution function F(z) = P(y<= z) given by (this is a piecewise function)

f(z) =
    0 if z < -1
    1/2 if -1 <= z < 1
    1/2 + 1/4(z-1 if 1 <= z < 2
    1 if 2 <= z

What is P(Y = 2)?

Find all the numbers t with the property that both P(Y <= t) >= 1/2 and P(Y >= t) >= 1/2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the P(Y=2) I integrated at the point 2 plus and minus epsilon and came up with 1/4z - 0 where z =2. Thus, 1/2. My concern is that this problem has a lot of constants Thus, I would expect P(Y=x) to equal 0 everywhere but in [1,2). Then I have no idea how to find the median of the distribution function. Sorry, if these are easy questions. The class is being taught without a book and I'm afraid I'm not used to that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you're doing -- could you spell it out? The answer is certainly wrong.

Not just a lot of flat-lines in the graph, but it's mostly continuous! P(Y=a) can only be positive if the graph of the cumulative distribution function has a discontinuity. (right?)

Do you know how to find P(Y<=t)?
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    well, no expert here, but to find P(Y=2) shouldn't you integrate f(z) over (-infinity,2]?
  5. Nov 16, 2007 #4
    F(z) = P(y<= z)

what exactly is "y" here?

the CDF is supposed to be F(z) = P[Z <= z]
  6. Nov 17, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He said that f was the cumulative distribution, not the probability density.
  7. Nov 17, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is impossible. The integral of a probability density function over its entire domain must be 1. You obviously can't have "f(z)= 1 if 2<= z". It also cannot be a cumulative probabililty distribution which was my next guess. I have no idea what is intended here.

No, that would give P(Y[itex]\le 2[/itex]). With a continuous probability density, the probobability that Y is any specific number is 0.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?