Probability of getting two boys question

In summary, the probability of having 2 boys in a family with 2 children, given that at least one is a boy, is 1/3 or 0.33. This can be calculated by considering the 4 possible options (boy-girl, girl-boy, boy-boy, girl-girl) and realizing that only one of them (boy-boy) fits the given condition. This is equivalent to using the equation P(X/Y) = P(X∩Y) / P(Y) where X represents the event of having 2 boys and Y represents the event of at least one boy.
Dell
in a family with 2 children , what is the possibility that there will be 2 boys if we know that at least one is a boy,

the correct answer is 0.33 but how do i get it,

the way i see it we have 4 options
boy girl
girl boy
boy boy
girl girl

therefore only one is a boy- boy option, therefore p=0.25

Physics news on Phys.org
i see my problem, the options are
boy girl
girl boy
boy boy

so it really is 1/3, but how do i get this using equations

using P(X/Y) etc

What you have done is a perfectly valid method and far easier than "using equations".

1. What is the "Probability of getting two boys question"?

The "Probability of getting two boys question" is a hypothetical question that asks what the chances are of a family having two boys in a row.

2. What factors affect the probability of getting two boys?

The main factor that affects the probability of getting two boys is the probability of having a boy or a girl, which is generally considered to be 50%. Other factors that may affect the probability include genetic factors, environmental factors, and chance.

3. How is the probability of getting two boys calculated?

The probability of getting two boys is calculated by multiplying the probability of having a boy (0.5) by the probability of having a boy again (0.5). This results in a probability of 0.25 or 25%.

4. Is the probability of getting two boys affected by previous children?

No, the probability of getting two boys is not affected by previous children. Each birth is considered an independent event, so the probability remains the same regardless of previous children.

5. What is the likelihood of getting two boys versus two girls?

The likelihood of getting two boys is the same as getting two girls, as the probability of having a boy or a girl is considered to be equal. However, the probability of getting one boy and one girl is higher than getting two boys or two girls, as there are more possible combinations for one boy and one girl than two of the same gender.