1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of obtaining 7 before 8 with pair of fair dice

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pair of fair dice is rolled until the first 8 appears. What is the probability that a sum of 7 does not precede a sum of 8.

2. Relevant equations

Geometric series

3. The attempt at a solution

P(sum of 7 does not appear before sum of 8) =

5/36 + 5/36 * 25/36 + 5/36 *(25/36)^2 + ...

= (5/36)/(1-25/36) = 5/11

do I have to use geometric series for this or just find the prob of 7 before 8?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Probability

Yes, I think you need to use a geometric series. Either 7 or 8 appearing ends the game, right? So I think you need to find the probability that neither 7 nor 8 appears in k-1 rolls times the probability that 8 appears on the kth roll. Then sum over all k.

4. Sep 23, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that's correct 5/36 is the probability of 8 and 25/36 is the probability of neither 7 nor 8. You did do a geometric series. How can you compute the probability of 7 before 8 without it?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  5. Sep 24, 2008 #4

I don't think it is possible without using a geometric series because it's a problem of infinite sum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?