1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of winning in a competition (first, second and third)

1. Jul 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A and B are together with 5 other contestants take part in a competition. The winners are champion, first -runner up and second- runner up. Find the probability that A and B are winner

my working is 3/7 x 2/6= 1/7 the ans is correct.

but by doing so i assume A is selected first. then B is selected after this. why there's no another probability that i select B first , then i select A . which is also 3/7 x 2/6= 1/7.. so by adding 2 of the probability , i have 1/7 + 1/7 = 2/7

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2014 #2
    By doing the 3/7 x 2/6 you are counting both A being selected first as well as B being "selected" first
    think about it
    A 1st -> B 2nd or 3rd
    A 2nd -> B 1st or 3rd
    A 3rd -> B 1st or 2nd so those are A being selected first what if we did B first?

B 1st > A 2nd or 3rd but look both combinations here are counted already B1 A2 was counted in the 2nd row and B1 A3 was counted in the 3rd

hope that helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted