Probability Question with Random Variables perhaps.

In summary, the conversation discusses the transmission of binary digits through a communications channel with a probability of error. To reduce the chance of error, a majority decoding strategy is used where 00000 is transmitted instead of 0 and 11111 is transmitted instead of 1. The probability of incorrectly decoding the message is found using the binomial distribution and is calculated to be 1-0.942, or approximately 0.058.
tennesseewiz

Homework Statement

A communications channel transmits the digits 0 and 1. However, due to static, the digit transmitted is incorrectly received with probability 0.2. Suppose that we want to transmit an important message consisting of one binary digit. To reduce the chance of error, we transmit 00000 instead of 0 and 11111 instead of 1. If the receiver of the message uses "majority" decoding, what is the probability that the message will be wrong when decoded? What independence assumptions are you making?

Homework Equations

This problem is in the Random Variables chapter of our book, but I don't see how we should use a random variable here. Maybe let X={the number of incorrectly received digits in a string of five equal digits}?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been told the solution is 0.942, but I have no idea why. When I looked at it, what I wanted to do was:

(0.2)^5

Obviously that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
A message will be decoded incorrectly if and only if a majority of the bits get changed. What you have is the probability that all get changed.

However, 0.942 is NOT "the probability that the message will be wrong when decoded"- that should be obvious. If you only transmit one bit, the probability it is wrong is 0.2. Transmitting it five times won't make it more likely to be wrong! Perhaps it is the probability that it is decoded correctly.

What is the probability that 3, 4, or 5 bits get transmitted incorrectly? This is "binomial distribution" problem.

Yes. The number of incorrectly received digits. The message will come through correctly if there are 0, 1 or 2 incorrectly received digits. Use the binomial distribution.

I doubt the solution 0.942 is correct. For one the question says we reduce the error, from 0.2 to 0.942 is not really a reduction.

As for the solution, (0.2)^5 is not correct. Think about the different possibilities, if I was sending a 0 to you, and you received 00111 or 10111 what would you think I was sending? You don't need to transmit all of them wrong, just some. So sum up all the possible ways the transition can be wrong.

Use the random variable X={the number of incorrect digits in the string}. It should be clear what value X needs to be above for there to be an error.

Good luck.

Wait... isn't the problem saying that they are sending 5 0's in hopes that at least one 0 gets received? So, as long as you get one 0, it's like saying "what's the probability that you don't get any 0's?". I'm not understanding why I need to look at the probability that 3, 4, or 5 bits get transmitted incorrectly. Where are those numbers coming from?

Does this question require any kind of computer coding knowledge? Because I'm really confused about what "majority" coding is.

Last edited:
No. The problem is saying if you send 5 zeros, then what the probability that the majority of the received bits will be zero.

Oooohhh! Okay, let me go work on that, get an answer and see what you guys think.

So, I didn't get .942, but I got 1-.942 instead.

Oh, and thanks for all the help! I hate homework problems like these where I don't know what the questions is asking... :-s

tennesseewiz said:
So, I didn't get .942, but I got 1-.942 instead.

Right. 0.942 is the probability is was received correctly, not incorrectly.

1. What is a random variable?

A random variable is a numerical value that is assigned to each outcome of a random event. It represents the uncertainty or randomness of the event and can take on different values with a certain probability.

2. How is probability calculated for random variables?

The probability of a random variable is calculated by summing the probabilities of all possible outcomes. This can be represented by a probability distribution or a probability density function.

3. What is the difference between discrete and continuous random variables?

Discrete random variables can only take on a finite or countable number of values, while continuous random variables can take on any value within a certain range. For example, the number of heads in 10 coin tosses is a discrete random variable, while the weight of a person is a continuous random variable.

4. How are random variables used in real life?

Random variables are used in various fields such as statistics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze uncertain events. They can also be used to make predictions and decisions based on probabilities.

5. Can the value of a random variable be predicted?

No, the value of a random variable cannot be predicted with certainty as it is based on chance and randomness. However, the probability of certain outcomes can be calculated and used to make informed decisions.