1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability questions from Math Subject GRE

Tags:
  1. Aug 22, 2009 #1

mrb

This is from the practice Math Subject GRE 0568, problem 44.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fair coin is to be tossed 100 times, with each toss resulting in a head or a tail. If H is total the number of heads and T is the total number of tails, which of the following events has the greatest probability?
    (A) [tex]H = 50 [/tex]
    (B) [tex]T \ge 60 [/tex]
    (C) [tex]51 \le H \le 55 [/tex]
    (D) [tex]H \ge 48 [/tex] and [tex]T \ge 48[/tex]
    (E) [tex]H \le 5 [/tex] or [tex]H \ge 95 [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I can set up expressions that give the probabilities. For instance, (A) is obviously

[tex] \binom{100}{50}(1/2)^{100} [/tex]

And (B) just involves summing similar terms for values 60 through 100. But how to compare these? It's not too hard to figure out that A, C, or E can't be right, but how do I compare B vs. D? Another Math Subject GRE practice test I have has a similar problem.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2009 #2
    Since the number of flips is sufficiently great, these probabilities can be approximated with a normal distribution. Don't forget to use continuity corrections.

I hope this is helpful.

--Elucidus

4. Aug 23, 2009 #3

mrb

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't actually know any probability beyond the basics of counting. I am aware of the normal distribution and the fact that it can be used to approximate these kinds of probabilities, but I don't know how to go about doing that. Is this something that can be done in the 2-3 minutes I can afford to spend on a GRE question?

5. Aug 23, 2009 #4
    I don't think the math to switch to the normal is hard (quite possibly easier than the counting), but you'd need a table to be able to get an answer, wouldn't you? Do you know if you get a table for the normal distribution during the test?

6. Aug 23, 2009 #5

mrb

No table. You just get a pencil and scratch paper.

7. Aug 23, 2009 #6
    Well that certainly puts a cramp in things.

Relating all options to H we get:

(a) H = 50
    (b) [itex]H \leq 39[/itex]
    (c) [itex]51 \leq H \leq 55[/itex]
    (d) [itex]48 \leq H \leq 52[/tex]
    (e) [itex]H \leq 5 \text{ or } H \geq 95[/itex]

Since this is a (fair) coin flipping problem, the probability for H = h flips for any h = 0, 1, 2, ..., 100 is:

[tex]P(H=h) = \left( _h^{100} \right) \cdot \frac{1}{2^{100}}[/tex]

Since the second factor is always 1/2100, then this really boils down to comparison of binomial coefficients.

Part (a) is obviously the easiest. Part (b) seems the worst to evaluate while the rest are sums of 5 or so terms.

Keep in mind

[tex]\sum_{h=0}^{49} \left( _h^{100} \right) = \sum_{h=51}^{100} \left( _h^{100} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \cdot [1 - \left( _{50}^{100} \right) ][/tex]

[itex]P(H \leq 39) = P(H \leq 49) - P(40 \leq H \leq 49)[/itex]

I may be having a rather opaque day, but this seems a really mucky exercise. The only other thing I can think of is that the standard deviation for H is 5, and one can exploit the approximate probability for falling in between multiples of [itex]\sigma[/itex], but even that faces some wrinkles (like option d).

--Elucidus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook