Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability rate of calculation

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    Hi all
    I'm sure this has been asked before and I'm hoping someone be kind enough to direct me to the answer. Which is probably 'you're question is nuts' :)
    Particles interact with each other and this affects the probability of where they are? Right so far I hope. This probability has to be calculated somehow (by the particle)? What is the speed of the calculation? Infinite?
    Thank you
    Simon

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you simulate a physical system with a computer, it takes some non-zero time to calculate the dynamics. Sometimes it's possible to do the computation in ##\textit{polynomial time}##, meaning that the time requirement grows no faster than some power of the number of particles in the system. Sometimes the time requirement grows exponentially.

Nature itself does not need time to "calculate" what to do, at least there is no evidence that it would.

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3
    Hi Hilbert2
    Really appreciate you taking the time!
    Thank you very much
    Simon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook