1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability semiconductor problem

1. Feb 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following is a random experiment.
    A wafer from a semiconductor manufacturing is to be selected randomly and a location on the wafer inspected for contamination particles. The sample space for the number of contamination particles at the inspected location is S= {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}.

Relative frequencies for these outcomes are 0.4, 0.2, 0.15, 0.10, 0.05 and 0.10 respectively.
    Use relative as probabilities.
    Let A be the event that there are no contamination particles at the inspected location.
    Let B be the event that there are at most three contamination particles at the inspected location.
    Let C be the event that there are an odd number of contamination particles at the inspected location.
    1- How many events are possible?
    2- Find the probability of the following:
    -Complement (A )
    -B (intersction) C

2. Relevant equations

Relative probability= n/N
    n- number of specific events occured.
    N- total number of posiible events

3. The attempt at a solution

for the number of events:
    I did 2^3=8 possible event but really I have no confindence in my answer
    For question 2 , I dont get it. I have formula but does nos help me much.

Can I have some help from an expert please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2007 #2
    I'm not an expert, but I thought your problem was interesting and had some free time, so I tried it. here's what I got.
    Each location is either contaminated or not and there are 6, so 2^6=64
    No contamination particles=0.6*.8*.85*.9*.95*.9
    This is just the product of the complements of the probabilities.
    Complement (A ) is just 1-0.6*.8*.85*.9*.95*.9

Intersection B and C=This is the sum of probabilities 1 contamination particle+3 contamination particles

First, let pro=0.6*.8*.85*.9*.95*.9 and sum=4/6+2/8+15/85+1/9+5/95+1/9 and sumsq=(4/6)^2+(2/8)^2... +(1/9)^2 and sumcu=(4/6)^3+(2/8)^3...+(1/9)^3

Probability of 1 contamination particle is:

Probability of 3 is a bit trickier:

The /6 is to account for permutations. The -3*sum*sum^2 is to get rid of things such as 4/6*4/6*4/6 and 4/6*4/6*1/9, since one part cannot be contaminated twice. The +2sum^3 is because -3*sum*sum^2 over-subtracts the perfect cubes.

Thus, B intersection C =pro*sum+pro/6*[sum^3-3*sum*sum^2+2*sum^3].

I haven't done combinatorics for a while, so check my answer before you take my word for it.....

4. Feb 10, 2007 #3
    Thank you sphoenixee,
    It is a little bit tricky but I get the idea.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?