1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability theory. quick question regarding conditionalizing the binomial dist

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    so suppose we have B(n,p), where n is discretely uniformly distributed on the integers of the interval (1,5)

Is the expected value 3p, and is the variance 3p-p^2
    ?

I arrived at those answers by treating n as another variable, so np/5 summed over all n is 3p, and similar logic for E(x^2) yields the variance.

Also when I use the equation E(V(Y/n)) + V(E(Y/n)) I get the same variance.

However this will give a non-zero variance for p =1, which makes NO sense.

Please advise.

Thank you very much

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If p = 1, every trial gives "success". Is there variation in the number of trials?

RGV

4. Feb 10, 2012 #3
    I didn't think about it like that. You're right..there is variation. I suppose that would make sense.

So in general, for the binomial given n, where n is distributed by f(n) we have the variance is:
    Sum(Sum f(n)*B(n,p)*x^2 over all x) over all n) - (Sum(Sum f(n)*B(n,p)*x over all x) over all n))^2

Which can be simplified or evaluated much quicker using the law of total variance.

Thanks for your help!

5. Feb 10, 2012 #4
    Hi, I actually have one more question.
    suppose I wanted to calculate the probability that x=#successes =2.
    Do I need to conditionalize f(n) = distribution of n(# trials) such that n>=2, or do I just assume that the probabilities when n=0 and 1 are 0??

6. Feb 10, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]P\{X=2\} = \sum_{n=1}^5 f(n) P\{X=5 | n \}. [/tex]
    What do you think the values of P{X=5|n} are for n = 1 and 2?

RGV

7. Feb 10, 2012 #6
    Well actually I think that P(X=2) is Sum C(n,2) *p^2 * (1-p)^(n-2) from n = 1 to 5, and when n equals 1, C(n,2) =0.

But to directly answer your question,I would say the values are 0.

Sorry for not using latex BTW. I'm on my lunch break. Just trying to learn.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. Feb 10, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer for P(X=2) is correct; the point is that you use the original f(n), and not some conditional version of it, and you let P{X=k|n} take care of the zeros or not.

Don't worry about not using LaTeX; what you wrote is clear enough and not very complicated, so it is perfectly readable without ambiguity.

RGV

9. Feb 10, 2012 #8
    Thank you so much Ray, you've been very helpful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook