Probability theory. quick question regarding conditionalizing the binomial dist

In summary, the conversation discusses the expected value and variance for the binomial distribution B(n,p), where n is discretely uniformly distributed on the integers of the interval (1,5). The expected value is found to be 3p, and the variance is 3p-p^2. Various methods are used to arrive at these answers, including treating n as another variable and using the law of total variance. It is noted that when p=1, the variance is non-zero, which may seem counterintuitive but can be explained by considering the variation in the number of trials. The conversation also discusses calculating the probability of a specific number of successes and the use of conditional probability.
Applejacks01
Hello,
so suppose we have B(n,p), where n is discretely uniformly distributed on the integers of the interval (1,5)

Is the expected value 3p, and is the variance 3p-p^2
?

I arrived at those answers by treating n as another variable, so np/5 summed over all n is 3p, and similar logic for E(x^2) yields the variance.

Also when I use the equation E(V(Y/n)) + V(E(Y/n)) I get the same variance.

However this will give a non-zero variance for p =1, which makes NO sense.

Please advise.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Applejacks01 said:
Hello,
so suppose we have B(n,p), where n is discretely uniformly distributed on the integers of the interval (1,5)

Is the expected value 3p, and is the variance 3p-p^2
?

I arrived at those answers by treating n as another variable, so np/5 summed over all n is 3p, and similar logic for E(x^2) yields the variance.

Also when I use the equation E(V(Y/n)) + V(E(Y/n)) I get the same variance.

However this will give a non-zero variance for p =1, which makes NO sense.

Please advise.

Thank you very much

If p = 1, every trial gives "success". Is there variation in the number of trials?

RGV

I didn't think about it like that. You're right..there is variation. I suppose that would make sense.

So in general, for the binomial given n, where n is distributed by f(n) we have the variance is:
Sum(Sum f(n)*B(n,p)*x^2 over all x) over all n) - (Sum(Sum f(n)*B(n,p)*x over all x) over all n))^2

Which can be simplified or evaluated much quicker using the law of total variance.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I actually have one more question.
suppose I wanted to calculate the probability that x=#successes =2.
Do I need to conditionalize f(n) = distribution of n(# trials) such that n>=2, or do I just assume that the probabilities when n=0 and 1 are 0??

Applejacks01 said:
Hi, I actually have one more question.
suppose I wanted to calculate the probability that x=#successes =2.
Do I need to conditionalize f(n) = distribution of n(# trials) such that n>=2, or do I just assume that the probabilities when n=0 and 1 are 0??

[tex]P\{X=2\} = \sum_{n=1}^5 f(n) P\{X=5 | n \}. [/tex]
What do you think the values of P{X=5|n} are for n = 1 and 2?

RGV

Well actually I think that P(X=2) is Sum C(n,2) *p^2 * (1-p)^(n-2) from n = 1 to 5, and when n equals 1, C(n,2) =0.

But to directly answer your question,I would say the values are 0.

Sorry for not using latex BTW. I'm on my lunch break. Just trying to learn.

Last edited:
Applejacks01 said:
Well actually I think that P(X=2) is Sum C(n,2) *p^2 * (1-p)^(n-2) from n = 1 to 5, and when n equals 1 or 2 C(n,2) =0.

But to directly answer your question,I would say the values are 0.

Sorry for not using latex BTW. I'm on my lunch break. Just trying to learn.

Your answer for P(X=2) is correct; the point is that you use the original f(n), and not some conditional version of it, and you let P{X=k|n} take care of the zeros or not.

Don't worry about not using LaTeX; what you wrote is clear enough and not very complicated, so it is perfectly readable without ambiguity.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Your answer for P(X=2) is correct; the point is that you use the original f(n), and not some conditional version of it, and you let P{X=k|n} take care of the zeros or not.

Don't worry about not using LaTeX; what you wrote is clear enough and not very complicated, so it is perfectly readable without ambiguity.

RGV

Thank you so much Ray, you've been very helpful!

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events and the likelihood of their occurrence. It provides a framework for understanding and quantifying uncertainty in various fields such as science, economics, and statistics.

2. What is a binomial distribution?

A binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the possible outcomes of a series of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (usually referred to as "success" or "failure"). It is characterized by two parameters, the number of trials and the probability of success in each trial.

3. How do you calculate the probability of an event using the binomial distribution?

To calculate the probability of an event using the binomial distribution, you need to know the number of trials (n), the probability of success in each trial (p), and the number of successes you are interested in (x). The formula is P(x) = (n choose x) * p^x * (1-p)^(n-x), where (n choose x) represents the number of ways to choose x successes from n trials.

4. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of both events by the probability of the first event. In other words, it is the probability of event A, given that event B has occurred.

5. How do you calculate conditional probabilities in the context of the binomial distribution?

To calculate conditional probabilities in the context of the binomial distribution, you can use the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has occurred, P(A and B) represents the joint probability of both events occurring, and P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring. You can also use a contingency table to organize the data and calculate the conditional probabilities.