1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Probably a Dumb Question: How are E and (delta)V correlated?

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    What I Think I Understand: ΔV = Ed (d being dstance) and that V = kq/r

please correct me if I'm misunderstanding those.

What I need to know: When E = 0, what happens to the electric potential? and vice versa.

Me Working it out: So if i use the first equation up here, If E = 0, then electric Potential = 0. Even with the second equation wouldn't I compare the net electric field with the net potential at a point? If so, then my answer remains the same. Either my equations are wrong or i'm really misunderstanding a simple concept. I may just be reaching my burnout point with physics right now. (I'm a few days in of focused physics studying and I can't wrap my head around simple concepts like this anymore.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No; where E = 0 the change in electric potential = 0. (ΔV = 0)

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3
    Then does that apply to just V as well? And thanks for the quick response! :)

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4

Doc Al

If I understand you correctly, no.

6. Feb 9, 2017 #5

Doc Al

That second equation describes the potential at some distance from a positive charge. (It assumes V = 0 when infinitely far from the charge.)

7. Feb 9, 2017 #6
  8. Feb 10, 2017 #7
    The two equations that you gave are valid for two separate situations. ΔV = Ed is valid if the electric field is uniform. If it is not, then the relation is approximately valid only for short distances, and along a direction parallel to the field.
    The second equation, V = kq/r gives the potential of a point charge q at the origin. In this case, the electric field is not uniform, so your first equation ΔV = Ed is not correct.
    In all cases, the relation between electrostatic field and potential is: E = - ∇V. I typed E in bold to state that E is a vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted