Probably a Dumb Question: How are E and (delta)V correlated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations ΔV = Ed and V = kq/r and their applications in understanding electric potential and electric fields. When E = 0, the change in electric potential is also 0, but this does not apply to the potential at a point charge. The relationship between electric field and potential is E = - ∇V, with E being a vector.
Iftekhar Uddin
What I Think I Understand: ΔV = Ed (d being dstance) and that V = kq/r

please correct me if I'm misunderstanding those.

What I need to know: When E = 0, what happens to the electric potential? and vice versa.

Me Working it out: So if i use the first equation up here, If E = 0, then electric Potential = 0. Even with the second equation wouldn't I compare the net electric field with the net potential at a point? If so, then my answer remains the same. Either my equations are wrong or I'm really misunderstanding a simple concept. I may just be reaching my burnout point with physics right now. (I'm a few days in of focused physics studying and I can't wrap my head around simple concepts like this anymore.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Iftekhar Uddin said:
So if i use the first equation up here, If E = 0, then electric Potential = 0.
No; where E = 0 the change in electric potential = 0. (ΔV = 0)

Doc Al said:
No; where E = 0 the change in electric potential = 0. (ΔV = 0)

Then does that apply to just V as well? And thanks for the quick response! :)

Iftekhar Uddin said:
Then does that apply to just V as well?
If I understand you correctly, no.

Iftekhar Uddin said:
Even with the second equation wouldn't I compare the net electric field with the net potential at a point?
That second equation describes the potential at some distance from a positive charge. (It assumes V = 0 when infinitely far from the charge.)

Likes Iftekhar Uddin
Iftekhar Uddin said:
What I Think I Understand: ΔV = Ed (d being dstance) and that V = kq/r

please correct me if I'm misunderstanding those.

What I need to know: When E = 0, what happens to the electric potential? and vice versa.

Me Working it out: So if i use the first equation up here, If E = 0, then electric Potential = 0. Even with the second equation wouldn't I compare the net electric field with the net potential at a point? If so, then my answer remains the same. Either my equations are wrong or I'm really misunderstanding a simple concept. I may just be reaching my burnout point with physics right now. (I'm a few days in of focused physics studying and I can't wrap my head around simple concepts like this anymore.)
The two equations that you gave are valid for two separate situations. ΔV = Ed is valid if the electric field is uniform. If it is not, then the relation is approximately valid only for short distances, and along a direction parallel to the field.
The second equation, V = kq/r gives the potential of a point charge q at the origin. In this case, the electric field is not uniform, so your first equation ΔV = Ed is not correct.
In all cases, the relation between electrostatic field and potential is: E = - ∇V. I typed E in bold to state that E is a vector.

1. What is the relationship between E and (delta)V?

The relationship between E (energy) and (delta)V (change in volume) is known as the thermodynamic equation of state. It describes how changes in energy and volume affect the state of a system, such as a gas or liquid.

2. How are E and (delta)V measured?

E and (delta)V can be measured using various techniques, such as calorimetry and volumetric analysis. These methods involve measuring changes in temperature and volume, respectively, to determine the energy and volume of a system.

3. What does a positive or negative value of (delta)V indicate?

A positive value of (delta)V indicates an increase in volume, while a negative value indicates a decrease in volume. This is important in understanding the behavior of gases and liquids under different conditions.

4. How does the correlation between E and (delta)V affect the behavior of a system?

The correlation between E and (delta)V determines the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its heat capacity, compressibility, and thermal expansion. It also affects how a system responds to changes in temperature and pressure.

5. Can the relationship between E and (delta)V be applied to all systems?

The thermodynamic equation of state applies to most systems, including gases, liquids, and solids. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the type of system and its behavior under different conditions.