Problem about measurement and probability of energy

In summary, measurement and probability of energy are closely related, as energy can be measured and described in terms of probability. Scientists use various instruments and techniques to measure energy, and external factors can affect these measurements. Probability is used in the study of energy to predict the likelihood of certain energy values occurring, and this understanding has many real-world applications in fields such as renewable energy, medicine, and industry.
BREAD

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-8_0-44-27.png

Homework Equations

I solve the (a) , using even,odd function. So, C=1/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach (b).
I think that 'total energy of the system' doesn't mean expectation value, how can i get
total energy and probability of them?

Physics news on Phys.org
BREAD said:
I don't know how to approach (b).
I think that 'total energy of the system' doesn't mean expectation value, how can i get
total energy and probability of them?
If you measure the energy, the system can only be found in one of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.

1. What is the relationship between measurement and probability of energy?

Measurement and probability of energy are closely related because energy is a physical quantity that can be measured and its value can be described in terms of probability. In other words, the measurement of energy tells us the amount of energy present in a system, while the probability of energy indicates the likelihood of finding a particular value of energy in a given system.

2. How do scientists measure energy?

Scientists use various instruments and techniques to measure energy, depending on the type of energy being measured. For example, they may use a thermometer to measure thermal energy, a voltmeter to measure electrical energy, or a spectrometer to measure electromagnetic energy. In some cases, scientists may also use mathematical formulas and equations to calculate the energy in a system.

3. Can the measurement of energy be affected by external factors?

Yes, the measurement of energy can be influenced by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of material being measured. This is because these factors can alter the amount or type of energy present in a system, making it difficult to obtain an accurate measurement. To minimize these effects, scientists often conduct experiments in controlled environments and take into account any external factors that may affect their measurements.

4. How is probability used in the study of energy?

Probability is used in the study of energy to predict the likelihood of certain energy values occurring in a system. This is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles and energy is governed by probabilities rather than exact values. By understanding the probability of different energy states, scientists can make predictions about the behavior of particles and systems at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the measurement and probability of energy?

Understanding the measurement and probability of energy has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is crucial in the development of renewable energy technologies, as scientists need to accurately measure and predict energy output from sources such as solar and wind power. It is also essential in fields such as medicine, where precise measurement of energy is necessary for diagnostic and treatment purposes. Additionally, understanding the probability of energy can help in designing efficient and safe systems, such as in the transportation and manufacturing industries.