1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem - find second derivative

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    The problem and my attempt at a solution is shown in the attached image.

The problem is that I end up with one extra x in the denominator.
    So the question is: Is my expression for y'' correct and I just made a mistake somewhere (I have checked it several times), or am I missing something in the expression for y' and/or y'' ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=53971&stc=1&d=1355635814.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

If the answer in the book is something like 6/x^3 + 18/x^4 + 12/x^5, you got the same answer.

4. Dec 16, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you go from [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{6}{x^3}\left( 1+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2}\right)\ [/itex] to [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{6}{x^4}\left( 1+\frac{1}{x}\right)\left( 1+\frac{2}{x}\right)\ ? [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\ 1+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2}=\left( 1+\frac{1}{x}\right)\left( 1+\frac{2}{x}\right)\ . [/itex]

5. Dec 16, 2012 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Does this make sense?
    [tex] \[
    \begin{array}{l}
    y' = 3(1 + {\textstyle{1 \over x}})^2 x^{ - 2} ( - 1) \\
    = \frac{{ - 3(1 + {\textstyle{1 \over x}})^2 }}{{x^2 }} \\
    \end{array}
    \]
    [/tex]

Next you would use quotient rule to find the next derivative (second derivative).

6. Dec 16, 2012 #5

7. Dec 16, 2012 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Personally, I'd just expand the binomial then differentiate twice. Keep the exponents as negative powers, it makes everything quicker.

8. Dec 16, 2012 #7
    >>Personally, I'd just expand the binomial then differentiate twice
    That certainly makes it much easier. I guess I didnt think of that since I was doing problems related to the chain rule. Thank you for your suggestion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook