Problem - find second derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and solution involving derivatives and the use of quotient rule. The question is raised about the correctness of the expression for y'' and the conversation ends with a suggestion to expand the binomial and differentiate twice for an easier solution.
jkristia
The problem and my attempt at a solution is shown in the attached image.

The problem is that I end up with one extra x in the denominator.
So the question is: Is my expression for y'' correct and I just made a mistake somewhere (I have checked it several times), or am I missing something in the expression for y' and/or y'' ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=53971&stc=1&d=1355635814.png

Attachments

• problem.png
    problem.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 474
Physics news on Phys.org
If the answer in the book is something like 6/x^3 + 18/x^4 + 12/x^5, you got the same answer.

jkristia said:
The problem and my attempt at a solution is shown in the attached image.

The problem is that I end up with one extra x in the denominator.
So the question is: Is my expression for y'' correct and I just made a mistake somewhere (I have checked it several times), or am I missing something in the expression for y' and/or y'' ?

[ IMG]https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=53971&stc=1&d=1355635814[/PLAIN]
How do you go from [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{6}{x^3}\left( 1+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2}\right)\ [/itex] to [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{6}{x^4}\left( 1+\frac{1}{x}\right)\left( 1+\frac{2}{x}\right)\ ? [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\ 1+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2}=\left( 1+\frac{1}{x}\right)\left( 1+\frac{2}{x}\right)\ . [/itex]

Does this make sense?
[tex] \[
\begin{array}{l}
y' = 3(1 + {\textstyle{1 \over x}})^2 x^{ - 2} ( - 1) \\
= \frac{{ - 3(1 + {\textstyle{1 \over x}})^2 }}{{x^2 }} \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

Next you would use quotient rule to find the next derivative (second derivative).

SammyS said:
How do you go from [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{6}{x^3}\left( 1+\frac{3}{x}+\frac{2}{x^2}\right)\ [/itex] to [itex]\displaystyle\ \frac{6}{x^4}\left( 1+\frac{1}{x}\right)\left( 1+\frac{2}{x}\right)\ ? [/itex]

Hmm, I probalby did a silly mistake, but I multiplied by x^2

[itex](\frac{6}{x^3})(\frac{x^2 +3x + 2}{x^2}) = (\frac{6}{x^3})(\frac{(x+1)(x+1)}{x^2})[/itex] to ... ahhh found my silly mistake - .. of course I need (x)(x), and then x can be canceled - haha..

Thank you very much for you help.

Personally, I'd just expand the binomial then differentiate twice. Keep the exponents as negative powers, it makes everything quicker.

>>Personally, I'd just expand the binomial then differentiate twice
That certainly makes it much easier. I guess I didnt think of that since I was doing problems related to the chain rule. Thank you for your suggestion.

1. What is the purpose of finding the second derivative?

The second derivative is a measure of the rate of change of the first derivative. It helps us understand the curvature and concavity of a function, and is useful in optimization problems, finding inflection points, and determining the nature of extrema.

2. How is the second derivative calculated?

The second derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the form of the original function.

3. What does a positive or negative second derivative indicate?

A positive second derivative indicates that the function is concave up, while a negative second derivative indicates that the function is concave down. This information is important in understanding the shape of the function and determining the nature of critical points.

4. Can the second derivative ever be equal to zero?

Yes, the second derivative can be equal to zero at points where the first derivative is at a local maximum or minimum. This indicates a possible inflection point where the concavity of the function changes.

5. How is the second derivative used in real-world applications?

The second derivative is used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to analyze the behavior of systems and predict changes. For example, in physics, the second derivative of position with respect to time is acceleration, which is crucial in understanding the movement of objects.