Problem in choosing axis in rotational mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about choosing the axis of rotation in rotational mechanics and provides examples of questions related to this topic. The conversation also explores the concept of angular velocity and how it is not affected by the choice of axis. The question of which axis to choose when solving problems is also addressed, with the solution being to consider the torque around the center of the rod. The concept of using the parallel axis theorem when calculating inertia about the end of the rod is also mentioned.
vkash
In rotational mechanics i am mostly confused with the axis of rotation. Let me give you some examples of question.
A rod of length l falls on two pads of same height from height h(rod is initially horizontal to plane when it is at height h). The coefficient of restitution of the metal pads are e1 and e2(e1 > e2). The angular velocity of the rod after it recoils is__________
about which axis. Is that instantaneous axis of rotation.
OK this may seem to be solved here but what about this question.
A uniform rod of mass length l is held stationary in vertical position on a smooth horizontal surface.Find angular acceleration of the rod in this position when horizontal force F=mg is applied at it's topmost point.
Now once again. which axis should i choose.
IAOR(instantaneous axis of rotation). I can;t find that.
However when i see solution of this example they take torque around the center of the rod and solve it. Why they take center of the rod. Why not any other point. If any other point on the plane is taken then answer may vary.
this point is really confusing me in rotational dynamics. which axis should i choose when i do questions.

please help me.!

I think general physics is correct place for this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
angular velocity is a vector, and it doesn't matter what axis you chose, it will be the same.

Curl said:
angular velocity is a vector, and it doesn't matter what axis you chose, it will be the same.

In second question, Take axis around point where rod touches the surface.
[tex]I=\frac{ml^2}{3}[/tex]
[tex]T(Torque)=mgl[/tex]

[tex]T=I\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\frac{T}{I}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\frac{mgl}{\frac{ml^2}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha=\frac{3g}{l}[/tex]
Now take the center as the axis. Your answer will [tex]\frac{6g}{l}[/tex]. That's different.
How will you explain this with our answer.

If you take torques about the CM, then you must also account for the torque by the ground (the normal force).

If you sum torques about the ground, make sure you compute the inertia about the end of the rod. Use the parallel axis theorem.

I can understand your confusion and frustration with choosing the axis in rotational mechanics. It is a common problem that many students face when learning about rotational dynamics. The key to understanding this concept is to remember that the axis of rotation is an imaginary line around which an object rotates, and it is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

In the first example you provided, the axis of rotation would be the line passing through the center of the rod. This is because the rod is falling in a vertical plane and the rotation is occurring around a fixed point. The instantaneous axis of rotation would be the same as the axis of rotation in this case.

In the second example, the axis of rotation would still be the line passing through the center of the rod, but the rotation is not occurring around a fixed point. Instead, the rod is rotating around its center of mass due to the applied force. The torque is calculated around the center of the rod because it is the point where the force is applied, and it is the point that experiences the greatest change in angular velocity.

It is important to note that the choice of axis of rotation is arbitrary and can vary depending on the problem. However, choosing the center of mass as the axis of rotation is often the simplest and most convenient option. In more complex problems, you may need to choose a different axis of rotation.

In conclusion, the key to choosing the correct axis in rotational mechanics is to understand the motion of the object and the point around which it is rotating. Once you have identified these, you can choose the appropriate axis of rotation to solve the problem. I hope this explanation helps to clear up any confusion you may have had.

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around an axis. It involves the study of how forces and torques affect the rotational motion of objects.

2. Why is choosing the correct axis important in rotational mechanics?

The axis is the point around which an object rotates. Choosing the correct axis is important because it affects the calculation of important quantities such as angular velocity, torque, and moment of inertia. A wrong choice of axis can lead to incorrect results and misunderstandings of the rotational motion.

3. How do I determine the correct axis in rotational mechanics?

The correct axis can be determined by considering the symmetry of the object and the direction of the forces acting on it. The axis should be chosen in a way that simplifies the problem and makes the calculations easier.

4. What are some common mistakes in choosing the axis in rotational mechanics?

One common mistake is choosing an axis that does not pass through the center of mass of the object. This can lead to incorrect calculations of torque and moment of inertia. Another mistake is choosing an axis that is not perpendicular to the direction of the force, which can also lead to errors in calculations.

5. Can I change the axis in rotational mechanics?

Yes, it is possible to change the axis in rotational mechanics, but it may make the problem more complicated. It is often easier to choose the correct axis from the beginning rather than changing it later on in the problem.