1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem in Perfectly Elastic Collision w/o given mass

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    what formula/s should i use in this problem:

2 identical bodies move forward each other. One has a velocity of 4 m/s and the other has a velocity of 6 m/s assuming a perfeclty elastic collision. Find their velocities after collision

pls help me p. elastic col is not included in my book XD

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What's conserved?

Kind of hard to believe that a book that doesn't cover elastic collisions would have a problem involving elastic collisions. What book are you using?

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    Ooh, these questions are really beautiful.

To make the math MUCH MUCH more simple, move your observer to the center of mass frame.
    Try and come up with a SIMPLE expression dealing with the relative velocities of the two objects before and after colliding. You'll be surprised.

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4
    naaiin: Look in your text for the definition of an eleastic collision. Check the chapter with this problem, and look in the book's index.

Saying a collision is 'elastic' actually gives you a lot of information about it.

6. Jul 24, 2009 #5
    m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

its wad i've been taught in my school...
    2 identical bodies means both object is the same...
    assuming both objects have the same mass...
    in a perfect elastic collision, both objects exchange velocity...
    so the 1 that has 4ms-1 now has -6ms-1 while the 2nd 1 will be having 4ms-1
    i'm not 100% sure of this though...do correct mii if any1 sees flaw in my statement...

7. Jul 24, 2009 #6
    It's true. Ignoring the time of the collision, it is as if they went "through" each-other. Unless you distinguished the two by coloring them, or some other method, you wouldn't know if there was a collision or if each just retained its velocity. :)

Try and prove this with considerations of energy, though. That's the key point of the exercise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook