Problem in Perfectly Elastic Collision w/o given mass

In summary, for a problem involving two identical bodies moving towards each other, with one having a velocity of 4 m/s and the other having a velocity of 6 m/s, assuming a perfectly elastic collision, their velocities after collision can be found using the conservation of momentum formula m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2. In a perfectly elastic collision, both objects exchange velocity, resulting in the first object having a velocity of -6 m/s and the second object having a velocity of 4 m/s. This can also be proven using the conservation of energy.
naiian02
what formula/s should i use in this problem:

2 identical bodies move forward each other. One has a velocity of 4 m/s and the other has a velocity of 6 m/s assuming a perfeclty elastic collision. Find their velocities after collision

pls help me p. elastic col is not included in my book XD

Physics news on Phys.org
naiian02 said:

2 identical bodies move forward each other. One has a velocity of 4 m/s and the other has a velocity of 6 m/s assuming a perfeclty elastic collision. Find their velocities after collision
What's conserved?

pls help me p. elastic col is not included in my book
Kind of hard to believe that a book that doesn't cover elastic collisions would have a problem involving elastic collisions. What book are you using?

Ooh, these questions are really beautiful.

To make the math MUCH MUCH more simple, move your observer to the center of mass frame.
Try and come up with a SIMPLE expression dealing with the relative velocities of the two objects before and after colliding. You'll be surprised.

naaiin: Look in your text for the definition of an eleastic collision. Check the chapter with this problem, and look in the book's index.

Saying a collision is 'elastic' actually gives you a lot of information about it.

naiian02 said:

pls help me p. elastic col is not included in my book XD

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

its wad I've been taught in my school...
2 identical bodies means both object is the same...
assuming both objects have the same mass...
in a perfect elastic collision, both objects exchange velocity...
so the 1 that has 4ms-1 now has -6ms-1 while the 2nd 1 will be having 4ms-1
i'm not 100% sure of this though...do correct mii if any1 sees flaw in my statement...

cyy91 said:
m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

its wad I've been taught in my school...
2 identical bodies means both object is the same...
assuming both objects have the same mass...
in a perfect elastic collision, both objects exchange velocity...
so the 1 that has 4ms-1 now has -6ms-1 while the 2nd 1 will be having 4ms-1
i'm not 100% sure of this though...do correct mii if any1 sees flaw in my statement...

It's true. Ignoring the time of the collision, it is as if they went "through" each-other. Unless you distinguished the two by coloring them, or some other method, you wouldn't know if there was a collision or if each just retained its velocity. :)

Try and prove this with considerations of energy, though. That's the key point of the exercise.

FAQ: Problem in Perfectly Elastic Collision w/o given mass

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision where both the momentum and the kinetic energy of the system are conserved. This means that the total energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision, and no energy is lost in the form of heat or deformation.

2. How is the mass of the objects involved important in a perfectly elastic collision?

The mass of the objects involved in a perfectly elastic collision is important because it determines the amount of momentum and kinetic energy that each object has. In order for the collision to be perfectly elastic, the mass of the objects must be known in order to calculate the final velocities of each object.

3. What happens in a perfectly elastic collision when the mass of the objects is not given?

When the mass of the objects is not given in a perfectly elastic collision, it becomes impossible to calculate the final velocities of the objects. This makes it difficult to determine if the collision was truly perfectly elastic or if there was some energy lost in the form of heat or deformation.

4. Can a collision be perfectly elastic without knowing the mass of the objects?

No, a collision cannot be perfectly elastic without knowing the mass of the objects involved. As mentioned before, the mass of the objects determines the final velocities of each object and without this information, it is impossible to determine if the collision was perfectly elastic.

5. How can the mass of the objects be determined in a perfectly elastic collision?

The mass of the objects can be determined in a perfectly elastic collision by measuring their momenta and using the formula p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. By measuring the momenta of the objects before and after the collision, their masses can be calculated and used to determine if the collision was perfectly elastic.