Problem on tritons and deuterons

• Thread starter krateesh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of different nuclei and the factors that contribute to their stability. It is mentioned that having an equal number of protons and neutrons does not always result in stability, and that the concept of "evenness" may play a role in stability. The Close-Packed Spheron Model of Linus Pauling is also mentioned as a possible explanation for the instability of certain nuclei.
krateesh
Suppose we have a beam balance capable of measuring even smallest differences in weights.
Now on one side we have a Triton and Deuteron.
And on the other side we have He-nucleus and a neutron

I want to know which will weigh heavier and why?

I saw on a book cover with balance tilting towards the former one thus i concluded that the deuterons and tritons will weigh more but my explanation on that conclusion don't seem to be logical.

Is that book cover right or I have been just fooled and my fumndamentals are just checked?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
See table 3.1 in this report: http://book.nc.chalmers.se/KAPITEL/CH03NY3.PDF
The mass of the triton + deuteron ~ 5.030 u, that of helium-4 + neutron ~ 5.011 u. The book cover is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
This means helium nucleus is more stable as it do have such even arrangement of both protons and neutrons.

krateesh said:
This means helium nucleus is more stable as it do have such even arrangement of both protons and neutrons.

Why would even=stable? Yes, He4 is stable AND seems to be a fundamental building block for heavier elements as He4 is often a decay component. I believe there is a fundamental "structure" to He4 that gives it its stability, though I will admit that the "even" P/N count may provide for this stable structure.

2p + 2n is the smallest number of nucleons that can fit into the same ground S-state. At the same time, each of these nucleons feels the attractive force of the nearby other three. That is why He^4 is the stablest nucleus.
Be^8 is not stable because it decays ilnto a pair of these most stable He^4.

Meir Achuz said:
2p + 2n is the smallest number of nucleons that can fit into the same ground S-state. At the same time, each of these nucleons feels the attractive force of the nearby other three. That is why He^4 is the stablest nucleus.

I wouldn't categorize that explanations as "why", but it's the current leading theory. "feels attractive force" is a concept with no structure, but I don't disagree. True, He^4 is the most stable known nuclei, but there may still be baryonic nuclear structures "larger" but more stable. One possible candidate would be a baryonic neutrolino, but the current theory gives a huge range of energy values and no composition or structure. Another could be n^4 - no charge, no magnetic moment, very stable and very dense. The later is predicted by W.F. Hagen's second paper on Energiewirbel.

Meir Achuz said:
Be^8 is not stable because it decays ilnto a pair of these most stable He^4.

Hmm.. How about Be^8 is not stable AND it decays into a pair of He^4. Why it is unstable remains unexplained. This decay example does however reinforce one of my first points that He^4 is a building block of larger nuclei.

One hypothesis as to why Be-8 is unstable derives from the Close-Packed Spheron Model of Linus Pauling. Here is quote from Pauling: "I assert that nuclei beyond A = 4 are stable only if two or more resonating structures involving hydrogen-3, helium-3, and helium-4 can be written". Dr. Linus Pauling, Research Notebook, #26 . 13 February 1966 :http://osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/specialcollections/rnb/26/rnb26.html

According to this Pauling model there "must" be present a three nucleon cluster, either triton [NPN] or [PNP], rotating against either (1) another three nucleon cluster or (2) a helium-4 cluster (the alpha)for any isotope with A > 4 to be "stable". Hence, Be-8, being composed of two helium-4 rotating clusters [PNPN]~[PNPN] violates this basic "rule of assembly" dynamic and is thus "unstable". Note the same explanation holds for He-5, in fact no mass 5 or 8 isotopes are stable. Now, before anyone starts throwing darts, Linus Pauling was a genius, holds two Nobel Prizes-- and is it not interesting that his model that explains why no stable mass 5 or 8 isotopes exist, published in Science and Proc. National. Acad. Sci. in 1965, has never been falsified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rade said:
One hypothesis as to why Be-8 is unstable derives from the Close-Packed Spheron Model of Linus Pauling. Here is quote from Pauling: "I assert that nuclei beyond A = 4 are stable only if two or more resonating structures involving hydrogen-3, helium-3, and helium-4 can be written". Dr. Linus Pauling, Research Notebook, #26 . 13 February 1966 :http://osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/specialcollections/rnb/26/rnb26.html

According to this Pauling model there "must" be present a three nucleon cluster, either triton [NPN] or [PNP], rotating against either (1) another three nucleon cluster or (2) a helium-4 cluster (the alpha)for any isotope with A > 4 to be "stable". Hence, Be-8, being composed of two helium-4 rotating clusters [PNPN]~[PNPN] violates this basic "rule of assembly" dynamic and is thus "unstable". Note the same explanation holds for He-5, in fact no mass 5 or 8 isotopes are stable. Now, before anyone starts throwing darts, Linus Pauling was a genius, holds two Nobel Prizes-- and is it not interesting that his model that explains why no stable mass 5 or 8 isotopes exist, published in Science and Proc. National. Acad. Sci. in 1965, has never been falsified.

Great link, thanks!

What are tritons and deuterons?

Tritons and deuterons are both types of particles that are found in the nucleus of an atom. They are both isotopes of hydrogen, with tritons having two neutrons and deuterons having one neutron.

What is the difference between tritons and deuterons?

The main difference between tritons and deuterons is the number of neutrons they contain. Tritons have two neutrons while deuterons only have one. This results in different atomic masses for each particle.

What are the properties of tritons and deuterons?

Tritons and deuterons have similar properties to hydrogen atoms, but their additional neutrons make them more stable. They are both considered to be heavy hydrogen isotopes and are often used in nuclear reactions and experiments.

What are some real-world applications of tritons and deuterons?

Tritons and deuterons have a variety of applications in different fields. They are used in nuclear reactors to produce energy, in medical imaging for diagnostic procedures, and in scientific research for studying nuclear reactions and fusion.

How are tritons and deuterons formed?

Tritons and deuterons are formed through nuclear reactions, either naturally or artificially. Tritons can be created through the fusion of two deuterium atoms, while deuterons can be formed through the fusion of a proton and a neutron.