Solving Latex Posting Problem on ForumThreads

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Chenkel
  • Start date
In summary: I tested on my phone (Android 12, Chrome browser), and found that the bug is the usual bug we encounter when we are writing LaTeX while creating a new thread — if you write some LaTeX and hit the preview button for the first time, then the LaTeX is not rendered as the MathJax resource is not loaded by default. If, however, you refresh the page, then (assuming your draft was saved automatically before the refresh) the LaTeX is rendered in the edit mode itself, and switching to the preview mode shows garbled symbols. Another refresh brings the garbled symbols to the edit mode itself.What mobile web app? You access PF via a browser on you phone, right?
Chenkel
Summary: Problem posting latex code when posting new thread

Hello everyone. I am trying to make a new thread with some latex code, but I notice there is a problem with creating latex code in a new forum post. When I go back and forth between the preview in the posting box sometimes the latex code renders in the mutable text box instead of only rendering when the preview is shown (which means each time I toggle between edit mode to preview mode to edit mode, my latex code is not there and I need to start over); there also seems to be no latex guide button next to the "Post thread" button, it's almost as if latex is unsupported when making a new thread. I'm not sure what is happening. I'm able to create latex code when replying to threads, just not when making new ones. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it's because there is a bug in the mobile web app, looking for further insights.

Chenkel said:
Perhaps it's because there is a bug in the mobile web app, looking for further insights.
What mobile web app? You access PF via a browser on you phone, right?

Likes Chenkel
Which browser and which operating system?

I tested on my phone (Android 12, Chrome browser), and found that the bug is the usual bug we encounter when we are writing LaTeX while creating a new thread — if you write some LaTeX and hit the preview button for the first time, then the LaTeX is not rendered as the MathJax resource is not loaded by default. If, however, you refresh the page, then (assuming your draft was saved automatically before the refresh) the LaTeX is rendered in the edit mode itself, and switching to the preview mode shows garbled symbols. Another refresh brings the garbled symbols to the edit mode itself.
berkeman said:
What mobile web app? You access PF via a browser on you phone, right?
Perhaps the OP is referring to the mobile view of the site as the "mobile web app".

I use the mobile web app. I notice that the LaTeX does work sometimes, but not all the time, hopefully there is some kind of work around when it's not working. Thank you for the feedback.

Chenkel said:
I use the mobile web app. I notice that the LaTeX does work sometimes, but not all the time, hopefully there is some kind of work around when it's not working. Thank you for the feedback.
If you mean the mobile PF app, that was deprecated quite a while ago. It is recommended to use a browser to access physicsforums.com.

berkeman said:
If you mean the mobile PF app, that was deprecated quite a while ago. It is recommended to use a browser to access physicsforums.com.
I've been using the mobile browser to access PF.

Chenkel said:
I've been using the mobile browser to access PF.
jtbell said:
Which browser and which operating system?

Likes Chenkel
I'm using Chrome and Android

What is the "Solving Latex Posting Problem on ForumThreads" issue?

The "Solving Latex Posting Problem on ForumThreads" issue refers to the difficulties users may encounter when attempting to post equations written in LaTeX on online forums or discussion threads.

Why is it important to solve this problem?

It is important to solve this problem because LaTeX is a widely used typesetting system for mathematical and scientific equations, and many online discussions and collaborations involve the use of equations. Therefore, being able to post equations in LaTeX is crucial for effective communication and sharing of knowledge.

What are some common causes of this problem?

There are a few common causes of the "Solving Latex Posting Problem on ForumThreads" issue. These can include incorrect formatting of the LaTeX code, lack of support for LaTeX on the specific forum or platform, or incompatible extensions or plugins.

How can this problem be solved?

There are a few solutions for solving the "Solving Latex Posting Problem on ForumThreads" issue. One approach is to use a browser extension or plugin specifically designed for posting LaTeX on forums. Another option is to use a LaTeX-to-image converter to convert the equations into images that can be easily uploaded and shared on the forum. Additionally, checking for any errors in the LaTeX code and ensuring compatibility with the forum or platform can also help solve the problem.

Are there any best practices for posting LaTeX on forums?

Yes, there are some best practices for posting LaTeX on forums. These include using a consistent and standardized formatting style, avoiding excessive use of complex equations, and providing a brief explanation or context for the equations to aid in understanding for other users.