Problem regardin an elastic wire.

In summary: Yes, it's true. But \Delta l is the elongation of one half, not the elongation of the whole wire. The elongation of the whole wire would be 2\Delta l, isn't it? This confusion is beacuse of me, I get it. When I first created this theard and I posted the main equations I used \Delta l as the elongation of the whole wire. So, given the fact that \Delta l is the elongation of only one half (besides in #1 where \Delta l is the elongation of the whole wire) is my judgement...Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you for clearing that up for me!
DorelXD

Homework Statement

An elastic wire has the folowing charcteristics:initial length [itex]l_0=60cm[/itex],section [itex]S=6mm^2[/itex],Young's Modulus [itex]E=\frac{12MN}{m^-2}[/itex].Initially the wire has both ends fixed. Its initial position is horizontal, untensioned. At the middle of the wire it's hanged a body that produces an elongation equal to 8 cm. Find the potential energy of deformation stored in the wire, when the body reaches its equilibrium position.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{F}{S}=E\frac{Δl}{l_0}[/tex]
[tex]F_e=kx[/tex]
[tex]E_e=\frac{k*Δl^2}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what bugs me is that I don't know what to do with the elongation in the problem. It confuses me that we pull from the middle of the wire, and not from one of its ends. Can somebody help me to understand this problem, please? Also I don't know what the spring constant is.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you hang something in the middle of the wire, you are going to pull the wire downward from its original position. Think what happens to a clothesline (if you know what that is). It would be helpful to draw a free body diagram of the wire suspending the weight. The vertical components of the tension in the wire must balance the weight suspended.

First of all, thank you for your answer!
When you hang something in the middle of the wire, you are going to pull the wire downward from its original position. Think what happens to a clothesline (if you know what that is).

Yes, I know what a clothesline is. I understand that the wire it's pulled downward, this is easy.

It would be helpful to draw a free body diagram of the wire suspending the weight.
This is easy too. I had drawn it before I posted it, but it was on a piece of paper. Here is a picture of the free body-diagram (I know it's not complete, I should have decomposed the tensions(is this term correct? I'm not a native speaker) in the vertical and horizontal components. I drew it in paint because I don't know any better way to do it. If you know, please tell me.

sketch_zpsefa0c654.png

The vertical components of the tension in the wire must balance the weight suspended.

I get it. This is pretty straight forward from the inital supposition of the problem that the body remains in equilibrium.

So we now have:

[tex]mg=2Tcos\Theta[/tex]

So do you understand what to do with the elongation now?

From the geometry that you have drawn, how much longer are each of the two halves of the wire now than they were before you hung the weight?

haruspex said:
So do you understand what to do with the elongation now?
Well, not yet.
From the geometry that you have drawn, how much longer are each of the two halves of the wire now than they were before you hung the weight?
Well, the initial length of one half is: [itex]l_i=\frac{l_0}{2}[/itex].

The final length is: [itex]l_f=\frac{li}{sin\Theta}=\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}[/itex], isn't it?

So [itex]\Delta l=l_f-l_i=\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}-\frac{l_0}{2}=\frac{l_0(1-sin\Theta)}{2sin\Theta}[/itex],right?

Thank you both for your answers!

Last edited:
DorelXD said:
So [itex]\Delta l=l_f-l_i=\frac{l_0}{2}-\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}=\frac{l_0(sin\Theta-1)}{2sin\Theta}[/itex],right?

Should that not be ## \Delta l = 2(l_f - l_i) ##? And, ##l_f - l_i = \frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta} - \frac{l_0}{2}##.

voko said:
Should that not be ## \Delta l = 2(l_f - l_i) ##? And, ##l_f - l_i = \frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta} - \frac{l_0}{2}##.

Thank you for your time! But why is it like this? Have I made some algebra mistake or have I missed something?

DorelXD said:
Thank you for your time! But why is it like this? Have I made some algebra mistake or have I missed something?

All of that follows from your definitions in #6.

voko said:
All of that follows from your definitions in #6.

Excuse me, but I don't undersatnd. What definition? And what is #6?

DorelXD said:
Excuse me, but I don't undersatnd. What definition? And what is #6?

#6 is message number 6 in this thread:

DorelXD said:
Well, not yet.

Well, the initial length of one half is: [itex]l_i=\frac{l_0}{2}[/itex].

The final length is: [itex]l_f=\frac{li}{sin\Theta}=\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}[/itex], isn't it?

So [itex]\Delta l=l_f-l_i=\frac{l_0}{2}-\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}=\frac{l_0(sin\Theta-1)}{2sin\Theta}[/itex],right?

Thank you both for your answers!

In it, you defined that ##l_i## and ##l_f## are the initial and the final lengths of one half of the wire.

voko said:
#6 is message number 6 in this thread:
In it, you defined that ##l_i## and ##l_f## are the initial and the final lengths of one half of the wire.

Yes, it's true. But [itex]\Delta l[/itex] is the elongation of one half, not the elongation of the whole wire. The elongation of the whole wire would be [itex]2\Delta l[/itex], isn't it? This confusion is beacuse of me, I get it. When I first created this theard and I posted the main equations I used [itex]\Delta l[/itex] as the elongation of the whole wire. So, given the fact that [itex]\Delta l[/itex] is the elongation of only one half (besides in #1 where [itex]\Delta l[/itex] is the elongation of the whole wire) is my judgement correct?

DorelXD said:
Yes, it's true. But [itex]\Delta l[/itex] is the elongation of one half, not the elongation of the whole wire. The elongation of the whole wire would be [itex]2\Delta l[/itex], isn't it? This confusion is beacuse of me, I get it. When I first created this theard and I posted the main equations I used [itex]\Delta l[/itex] as the elongation of the whole wire. So, given the fact that [itex]\Delta l[/itex] is the elongation of only one half (besides in #1 where [itex]\Delta l[/itex] is the elongation of the whole wire) is my judgement correct?

Correct, but mind the order of ##l_i## and ##l_f## in the difference.

So now that you know the change in length of half the wire and the original length of half the wire, what is the strain?

voko said:
Correct, but mind the order of ##l_i## and ##l_f## in the difference.
Yes, I've corrected. I was very uncareful. Thank you for pointing that out!

So now that you know the change in length of half the wire and the original length of half the wire, what is the strain?

Well it'll be:

[itex]2\Delta l=2(l_f-l_i)=2(\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}-\frac{l_0}{2})=\frac{l_0(1-sin\Theta)}{sin\Theta}[/itex],right?

DorelXD said:
Yes, I've corrected. I was very uncareful. Thank you for pointing that out!

Well it'll be:

[itex]2\Delta l=2(l_f-l_i)=2(\frac{l_0}{2sin\Theta}-\frac{l_0}{2})=\frac{l_0(1-sin\Theta)}{sin\Theta}[/itex],right?
Yes.

I've managed to solve the problem, much more simpler than the initial approach. If everyone is intersted please let me know, and I'll post it here. Thank you again for your answers!

What is an elastic wire?

An elastic wire is a type of wire that can stretch and return to its original shape when force is applied to it. It is commonly made of materials such as rubber, silicone, or latex and is used in various applications such as clothing, medical devices, and engineering projects.

What are the common problems associated with elastic wires?

The most common problem with elastic wires is that they can lose their elasticity over time due to wear and tear or exposure to certain environmental conditions. They can also break or snap if stretched beyond their limit. Additionally, elastic wires can become tangled or knotted, making them difficult to use.

What is the best way to prevent problems with elastic wires?

To prevent problems with elastic wires, it is important to handle them with care and avoid overstretching them. It is also recommended to store them in a cool and dry place to maintain their elasticity. Regularly inspecting for any signs of wear and tear can also help prevent potential problems.

How can I fix a stretched out elastic wire?

If an elastic wire has lost its elasticity, it can be fixed by soaking it in hot water for a few minutes and then allowing it to air dry. This can help restore some of its original elasticity. However, if the wire is severely stretched or damaged, it may need to be replaced.

Are there any safety concerns with using elastic wires?

Elastic wires can pose a safety hazard if not used properly. Overstretching an elastic wire can cause it to snap and potentially cause injury. It is also important to avoid using elastic wires near heat sources or sharp objects as they can damage the wire and compromise its elasticity. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions and handle elastic wires with caution.