Problem regarding sounds and waves

• Thread starter Nazif Farhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary: I thought you might want to know that.In summary, the sounds will be heard at the other end of the 400 meter long pipe if it is filled with air, but not if it is filled with water.
Nazif Farhan

Homework Statement

An iron pipe is 1200 meters long and is filled with water. If a sound is made at one end of the pipe, two sounds/noises are heard at the other end. If the speed of sound in water is 1450 m/s and the speed of sound in iron is 5220 m/s then
Q(1) : How long is it going to take to hear the second sound at the other end after the first one?
Q(2) : If the pipe is filled with air in which the speed of sound is 340 m/s, will making a sound at one end produce two sounds at the other end?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that, d=vt and in the case of echo it's 2d=vt but in this case, it's no echo and there are two mediums here which is confusing me and I can't even understand why I'll hear two sounds at other end for the first case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nazif Farhan said:
Well I know that, d=vt
That's really all you need.

Nazif Farhan said:
I can't even understand why I'll hear two sounds at other end for the first case
Because sound travels both in the iron of the pipe and in the water filling the pipe.

Thanks for the reply Doc Al. Well that solves the first question but you didn't say anything about the second one or maybe you did and I'm not getting it. Please reply, I'm not that bright.

What do you think? Compare the second with the first. Any fundamental difference?

Oh I'm really really sorry. I left out an important part of the question. In the second question, it should've been 'If the pipe is 400 meters long and if the pipe is filled with air in which the speed of sound is 340 m/s, will making a sound at one end produce two sounds at the other end?'

1. What is the difference between sound and a wave?

Sound is a type of energy that is produced by vibrations in matter, such as air or water. Waves, on the other hand, are disturbances that transfer energy without transferring matter. Sound can be considered a type of wave, specifically a longitudinal wave, that travels through a medium.

2. How is sound produced?

Sound is produced when an object vibrates, creating pressure waves in the surrounding medium. These waves travel through the medium and are detected by our ears, which then interpret them as sound.

3. Why do different sounds have different pitches?

The pitch of a sound is determined by its frequency, which is the number of vibrations per second. Higher frequency vibrations produce higher pitched sounds, while lower frequency vibrations produce lower pitched sounds.

4. How does sound travel through different mediums?

Sound can travel through any medium that has particles for the sound waves to travel through, such as air, water, or solids. The speed of sound varies depending on the medium, with sound traveling faster through denser mediums.

5. What is the Doppler effect and how does it relate to sound?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a wave as the source of the wave moves relative to the observer. This is commonly experienced with sound when a moving object, such as a car or train, produces a higher frequency sound as it approaches and a lower frequency sound as it moves away. This is due to the compression and expansion of the sound waves as the object moves towards or away from the observer.