Problem Related to Binomial Coefficient

In summary: Hi Dick,Thank you for your suggestion. I am sorry for not including some point. I am actually looking for algebraic proof.
dpa
Hi All,

Homework Statement

This is algebraic proof of Vandermonde's identity:

I am having some problem understanding how we reached the second last step and more importantly, last steps from revious steps.
attachment.php?attachmentid=51583&stc=1&d=1349525256.png

src::proofwiki.org

I would be grateful if someone would elaborate it clearly.

Homework Equations

Basically none that are relevant to answer my question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how we reached the last two steps.

Thank You.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dpa said:
Hi All,

Homework Statement

This is algebraic proof of Vandermonde's identity:

I am having some problem understanding how we reached the second last step and more importantly, last steps from revious steps.
attachment.php?attachmentid=51583&stc=1&d=1349525256.png

src::proofwiki.org

I would be grateful if someone would elaborate it clearly.

Homework Equations

Basically none that are relevant to answer my question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how we reached the last two steps.

Thank You.

It is no wonder you are having trouble following that. Besides having a typo, it is written very sloppily. You are working on this (in which I have included the limits):$$
\sum_{k=0}^r \binom r k x^k\sum_{m=0}^s \binom s m x^m$$Notice it started with summation over a rectangle in the ##m,k## plane: ##0\le k\le r,\,0\le m\le s##.

In the second sum he makes a change of index from ##m## to ##n## by substituting ##n=m+k## or ##m=n-k##. This gives, including the limits:$$
\sum_{k=0}^r\binom r k x^k\sum_{n=k}^{s+k}\binom s {n-k}x^{n-k}$$Notice that the lower limit on the second sum is ##n=k##, not ##n-k##. That is a typo. Notice that the region of summation is now ##k\le n\le s+k,\, 0\le k \le r##. If you draw that region in the ##n,k## plane you will see it is a parallelogram. And he has ignored the upper limits in the sums.

What he does next is put it all under a double sum and reverse the order of summation. But when you reverse the limits it gets complicated putting the limits on in the other order. You would have to break the region up into two sums. That is probably why he has ignored the upper limits in the writeup. Good luck deciphering the rest of that writeup.

Thank You. That was very very helpful.

My goal actually is simpler. I have to prove
([itex]\stackrel{2n}{k}[/itex])=[itex]\Sigma^{k}_{l=0}[/itex]([itex]\stackrel{n}{l}[/itex])([itex]\stackrel{n}{k-l}[/itex])

I can't properly use latex but hope you can understand it.

I wanted to follow the above pattern to prove it, but if there is a simpler method, that would be helpful.

Thank You.

dpa said:
My goal actually is simpler. I have to prove
([itex]\stackrel{2n}{k}[/itex])=[itex]\Sigma^{k}_{l=0}[/itex]([itex]\stackrel{n}{l}[/itex])([itex]\stackrel{n}{k-l}[/itex])

I can't properly use latex but hope you can understand it.

I wanted to follow the above pattern to prove it, but if there is a simpler method, that would be helpful.

Thank You.

It's pretty easy to give a combinatorial argument. You want to chose k objects from 2n objects. Split the 2n up into two groups n. Count the number of ways to pick l from the first group and l-k from the other and sum them up.

Hi Dick,

Thank you for your suggestion. I am sorry for not including some point. I am actually looking for algebraic proof.

Thank You.

What is a binomial coefficient?

A binomial coefficient is a mathematical term that represents the number of ways to choose a subset of items from a larger set. It is denoted by the symbol "n choose k" or nCk, where n is the total number of items and k is the number of items in the chosen subset.

What are some real-world applications of binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients have many applications in various fields such as statistics, probability, and computer science. They can be used to calculate the probability of certain outcomes in experiments, determine the number of possible combinations in a game or lottery, and in coding theory for error-correction algorithms.

How do you calculate binomial coefficients?

The formula for calculating a binomial coefficient is nCk = n! / (k!(n-k)!), where n! (read as "n factorial") is the product of all positive integers from 1 to n. However, for larger values of n and k, it is more efficient to use a calculator or computer program to compute the coefficient.

What is the significance of binomial coefficients in Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular arrangement of numbers that represents the coefficients of the expansion of binomials. The coefficients in each row of the triangle correspond to the binomial coefficients for the powers of (a+b)^n, where n is the row number. This makes it a useful tool for quickly finding binomial coefficients for any given value of n.

How can binomial coefficients be used to solve problems?

Binomial coefficients can be used to solve problems involving combinations, permutations, and probability. They can also be used to prove mathematical identities, such as the binomial theorem and the Pascal's identity. In addition, they have practical applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and genetics.