1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem solving Heat Diffusion Equation

1. Dec 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One face of a thick uniform layer is subject to a sinusoidal temperature variation of angular frequency ω. SHow that the damped sinusoidal temperature oscillation propagate into eh layer and give an expression for the decay length of the oscillation amplitude.

A cellar is built underground covered by a ceiling which 3m thick made of limestone. The Outside temperature is subject to daily fluctuations of amplitude 10 C and annual fluctuations of 20 C. Estimate the magnitude of the daily and annual temperature variation within the cellar.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am unable to solve the first part of this question.

Take the diffusion equation

[tex] \frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = -D\frac{\partial^2T}{\partial x^{2}} [/tex]

Using separation of variable method:

Let [tex] T=X(x)F(t) [/tex]

[tex]X \frac{dF}{dt} = -DF\frac{d^2X}{DX^2} [/tex]

[tex]-D\frac{dF}{dt}=\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2X}{DX^2}= k [/tex]

where k is the separation constant.

These separate into two equation which I solve to give

[tex] X=Ae^{\sqrt{k}x}+Be^{-\sqrt{k}x} [/tex]

[tex]F=Ce^{-Dkt} [/tex]

By superpositon principle

[tex] T=\sum (A_ke^{\sqrt{k}x}+B_ke^{-\sqrt{k}x})e^{-Dkt} + A_0 + B_0x [/tex]

where C has been absorbed into A and B.

Then taking the boundary conditions:

At x →∞ T→0, which shows A_k → 0

[tex] T=\sum B_ke^{-\sqrt{k}x}e^{-Dkt} + B_0x [/tex]
    Then apply conditon that at x=0 T [itex]\propto[/itex] sinωt.
    [tex] e^{-Dkt} = sinwt [/tex]

However here is where I am stuck, I do not see how proceed further. Is my solution so far correct, it does not seem so as I seem to have the wrong form. Or have I chosen the wrong form for my separation coefficient?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2011 #2
    The transient heat equation is generally written without the negative sign as you have written it. When you use separation of variables, use -k as your separation constant. That causes the X(x) portion to be sines and cosines.

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3
    Ahh that makes better sense. Thanks for the help, I was able to solve to give:

[tex]Tcos(wt-x\sqrt{\frac{w}{2D}}) e^{-x\sqrt{\frac{w}{2D}}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook