1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem Understanding theorm of Cross Product

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My textbook says:
    The length of the cross product a x b is equal to the area of the parallelogram determined by a and b.

How can a length equal and area? They have different units?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

They are numerically equal. That doesn't say anything about units, just that the numbers are the same.

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If a and b have dimension length, then axb properly has dimension (length)^2. So does the area of a parallelogram.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're going to have to convince me, Dick. a X b is a vector, and its magnitude is a length. I don't see how you can get (length)2 out of a vector.

6. Sep 24, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll try. The components of axb are products of components of a and b. If the components of a and b have dimension length, that means the components of axb have dimension (length)^2. Not all vectors have dimension length. An example from physics is that angular momentum is defined by l=rxp. r has dimensions of length (m), p has the dimensions of momentum (kg*m/s). l has dimensions of angular momentum (kg*m^2/s).

7. Sep 24, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dick, my mind is blown right now.

8. Sep 24, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm kind of surprised this is of mind-blowing proportions. It's just consistently tracking units. In math, you largely treat vectors as dimensionless, so the issue never comes up. If your vectors are dimensionful and you want a length vector perpendicular to a and b, you should use axb/(length units). Which you usually do anyway, just by ignoring the (length)^2 aspect of axb. It should really be satisfying that |axb| correctly has the dimensions of a parallelogram area. Don't get me talking about differential forms and duality. It's why there is a 'cross product' only in three dimensions. The dimension funnyness reflects that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. Sep 25, 2013 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I never use "length" as a synonym for the magnitude of a physical vector. What is the length of a velocity vector? That doesn't quite make sense. Velocity has dimensionality of length per time, not length. The magnitude of that velocity vector? That makes sense, and it even has a name: Speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted