Simple Cross Product Equation Question

In summary, this equation deals with the cross product of two vectors, where each vector has a different sign orientation. The formula that is commonly used, which uses the expansion of the determinant of a 3 x 3 matrix, appears to work fine when all signs are positive, but the negative/positive sign orientation in front of the y and z elements can cause problems. The solution uses cyclic permutations of the letters in the first position, which completes the sum of terms with the same sign.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This is a general question about the equation.
So, I know that the cross product requires a vector in at least 3 dimensions crossed with another.

Here is the formula that I am using:
uxv =
Inline6.gif

My problem is the negative/positive sign orientation in front of the y element and z element.
I've seen equations for this where there exists only addition between the x,y, and z elements in a cross product. And my teacher tried to explain it to me, and I softly understood, but I want to make sure I know what's going on.

Why does the cross product equation sometimes have all positive signs between elements, but the one that I use (and works) has a negative and then a positive sign?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

So, I know that the cross product requires a vector in at least 3 dimensions crossed with another.

uxv =
Inline6.gif

My problem is the negative/positive sign orientation in front of the y element and z element.
I've seen equations for this where there exists only addition between the x,y, and z elements in a cross product. And my teacher tried to explain it to me, and I softly understood, but I want to make sure I know what's going on.

Why does the cross product equation sometimes have all positive signs between elements, but the one that I use (and works) has a negative and then a positive sign?

It's not clear from what source you are deriving these different formulas for the cross product.

Here is an article with various formulas for computing it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product

I tend to favor the formula which uses the expansion of the 3 x 3 formal determinant. It is easy to remember and expand, and the negative signs take care of themselves.

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, wiki. Why did I not think of that? :p.

This appears to have my answer. I will post back if I get confused further.

Thank you.

RJLiberator said:
Ah, wiki. Why did I not think of that? :p.

This appears to have my answer. I will post back if I get confused further.

Thank you.

Wiki has some surprisingly good math articles, particularly on the practical aspects of calculation. You can always check what's there with Wolfram's MathWorld site:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

Likes RJLiberator

there is a better video that uses matrix(kin of like craters rule) somewhere. I'll find it later

Likes RJLiberator
MidgetDwarf said:
there is a better video that uses matrix(kin of like craters rule) somewhere. I'll find it later

It's Cramer's Rule, not craters rule. Cramer's Rule is used to solve a system of linear equations using determinants.

The method used to expand the determinant of a 3 x 3 matrix is actually called the Rule of Sarrus. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Sarrus

I am typing on a tablet.

RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

uxv =
Inline6.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Think of the three cyclic permuations XYZ, YZX, ZXY, obtained by taking the letter in the first position and looping it around to be last. So, starting from XYZ we take the X and move it around to last place, shoving the other two to the left---giving YZX. Similarly, we then take the Y and loop it around to be last, to get ZXY. Those orders give you the first parts of each of the three terms:
[tex] \vec{u} \times \vec{v} = \underbrace{\vec{e}_x ( u_y v_z \cdots)}_{XYZ} +
\underbrace{\vec{e}_y(u_z v_x \cdots)}_{YZX} + \underbrace{\vec{e}_z (u_x v_y \cdots)}_{ZXY} [/tex]
Now just complete each bracket ##( )## by putting in the interchange of the first term, with a - sign:
[tex] \vec{u} \times \vec{v} = \vec{e}_x (u_y v_z - u_z v_y)
+ \vec{e}_y ( u_z v_x - u_x v_z) + \vec{e}_z (u_x v_y - u_y v_x) [/tex]
Now there are ##+## signs in front of each of the terms.

Likes RJLiberator

1. What is a cross product equation?

A cross product equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the vector product between two vectors in three-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol "x" and is used to find the resulting vector perpendicular to both original vectors.

2. How is a cross product different from a dot product?

A cross product results in a vector quantity, while a dot product results in a scalar quantity. This means that a cross product has both magnitude and direction, while a dot product only has magnitude.

3. What are the properties of a cross product equation?

The properties of a cross product equation include distributivity, anti-commutativity, and linearity. Distributivity means that the cross product of two vectors added together is equal to the sum of their cross products. Anti-commutativity means that the order of the vectors does not affect the result. Linearity means that the cross product of a vector multiplied by a scalar is equal to the scalar multiplied by the original cross product.

4. How is a cross product used in physics?

A cross product is commonly used in physics to calculate quantities such as torque and angular momentum. It is also used in electromagnetism to determine the direction of a magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire.

5. Can a cross product equation be used in higher dimensions?

No, a cross product equation is only defined for three-dimensional space. In higher dimensions, a similar concept called the exterior product is used instead.