Problem using the ideal gas law

In summary, the problem involves an internal combustion engine compressing air at atmospheric pressure and a temperature of 20°C to a pressure of 20 atm and a volume of 1m3. Using the formula PV=nRT, the temperature of the compressed air is estimated to be 433K, taking into account absolute temperature. The initial pressure is zero when using relative pressure.
lm93

Homework Statement

In an internal combustion engine, air at atmospheric pressure and a temperature of about 20°C is compressed in the cylinder by a piston to 1/4 of its original volume (compression ratio = 4.0). Estimate the temperature of the compressed air, assuming the pressure reaches 20 atm.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
restated as:(P1V1)/T1=(P2V2)/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

we are told that the initial situation: has a temperature of 20C or 293K, pressure of 1 atm. Set volume equal to 4m3
final situation: temperature=unknown, pressure=20 atm and volume=1m3

I tried putting these numbers into the formula and got a few different incorrect answers depending on which units I used, such as: 100C, 52.5C, 58.6C

Please help!
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you remembered to use absolute (Kelvin) temperature?

Show details of your calculation, results should not depend on the units used as long as you use same units for initial and final state, as they cancel out then.

--
methods

Oh I did forget to use absolute temperature! Thank you very much! I will try it again taking that into account...
So do I also have to use absolute pressure as well or is that not necessary?
If not then I would get P2=P1(T2/T1)
P2=101325N/m2(433K/293K)-->P2=149739.68N/m2

What would be initial pressure if you will use relative pressures instead of absolute ones?

Oh...would it be zero?

Does it make sense?

--

I got 5662.6N but I'm not sure if it's correct.

yes, because the relative pressure is the pressure minus the atmospheric pressure and since it is at atmospheric pressure then it would be zero.

YESSSSSS I got it right! Thanks SO much!

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is represented as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What are the units for the ideal gas law?

The units for the ideal gas law depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. However, generally, pressure is measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), and temperature in Kelvin (K).

3. How is the ideal gas law used to solve problems?

The ideal gas law can be used to solve for any of the variables (pressure, volume, temperature, or number of moles) if the other variables are known. This is useful in various scientific and engineering applications, such as calculating the volume of a gas at a given pressure and temperature.

4. What are the assumptions of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law assumes that the gas being studied is an ideal gas, meaning that it follows certain idealized behavior such as having particles with negligible volume and no intermolecular forces. It also assumes that the gas is at a constant temperature and that the gas particles are in constant, random motion.

5. What are some common problems encountered while using the ideal gas law?

Some common problems encountered while using the ideal gas law include not accounting for real-world factors such as intermolecular forces and non-ideal behavior of gases. Additionally, the gas constant (R) may vary depending on the units used, so it is important to use the correct value for the given units.