Observing Features Near Vertical Trench Sidewalls: Solutions?

• Thread starter phymy8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vertical
In summary, the issue with using optical microscopy to observe features near vertical sidewalls of deep trenches is caused by obstruction of the optical paths and diffraction from the edge of the trench. Some potential solutions include tilting the sample surface, using different types of illumination, and using a higher NA objective lens or a laser scanning confocal microscope for higher resolution imaging.
phymy8
Problem w/ optical microscopy of features near vertical sidewall of deep trench

Can you guys give me advice on solutions or opinion on whether I am right about the explanation of the issue behind my problem.

Problem:

Im having trouble using optical microscopy (top down illumination) to observe features that are very deep down a trench and right near the vertical straight sidewall of that trench.

The feature I want to observe is situated right next to the very deep vertical sidewall of the trench. When observed and attempt at focus, the feature becomes very blurry even though I have set it to be in focus

Reasoning behind problem?:

The last stage in the optics is focus by the high NA objective lens. When I am viewing the intended feature in center of observation, half the light is blocked by the top highest level surface of the trench, and the other half is allowed to illuminate down to the trench and reflect back to the objective.

Essentially there is obstruction of the optical paths, since the beam is focused and not a collimated beam. Theres also possibly diffraction of the light from the edge on the top level of the trench.

Solutions?:

Can you provide some solutions to the problem so I can observe the feature next to the deep sidewall?

What is the proper term for this problem?

Is there a practice to somehow collimate the light right out of the microscope near the focal point to interrogate the measured specimen so that you can observe deep features with focus?

Attachments

• Untitled 1.gif
    Untitled 1.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
One solution would be to tilt the sample surface so that the feature is no longer right next to the vertical sidewall, and then use a lower NA objective lens. This should reduce the amount of light blocked by the top level and also reduce diffraction from the edge of the trench. Additionally, you could use a different type of illumination such as dark field illumination or differential interference contrast (DIC) microscopy for better contrast and resolution. You could also use a higher NA objective lens, if available, to increase the resolution and contrast. Finally, you could use a laser scanning confocal microscope to achieve higher resolution imaging with less distortion.

What is the purpose of observing features near vertical trench sidewalls?

The purpose of observing features near vertical trench sidewalls is to gain a better understanding of the geological processes and structures that occur within these trenches. This information can help scientists make inferences about the history and formation of the trench, as well as the potential hazards associated with it.

What are some common features that can be observed on near vertical trench sidewalls?

Some common features that can be observed on near vertical trench sidewalls include erosional patterns, fault lines, sediment layers, and fossilized remains. These features can provide valuable information about the past and present conditions of the trench.

How are solutions used to observe features near vertical trench sidewalls?

Solutions, such as dyes or tracers, can be injected into the water column above the trench and then observed as they flow along the trench walls. This allows scientists to track the movement of water and sediment and identify any features or structures that may be hidden beneath the surface.

What are some challenges that scientists may face when observing features near vertical trench sidewalls?

One of the main challenges when observing features near vertical trench sidewalls is the extreme depth and pressure of the trench. This can make it difficult to deploy instruments and collect data, as well as increase the risk of equipment failure. Additionally, the harsh environment and limited visibility can also pose challenges to data collection.

How can the information gathered from observing features near vertical trench sidewalls be used?

The information gathered from observing features near vertical trench sidewalls can be used to improve our understanding of the Earth's geology and oceanography. It can also help with hazard assessment and mitigation strategies for areas near trenches. The data can also be used to inform future research and exploration efforts.