Solving an Integral with the Ei Function

• Thread starter Pyrrhus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Thanks Dexter :smile:, i guess my first integral was correct ( I_{2} ) but the second one ( I_{3} ) , whoa what a mess... maybe i can rewrite it someway... i'll let you all know if i can.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
[tex] \int \frac{1 - x \exp{xy}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

Here's what i have done

[tex] \int \frac{1 - x \exp{xy}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx = \int \frac{1}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx + \int \frac{- x \exp{xy}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

so

[tex] I_{1} = I_{2} + I_{3} [/tex]

where

[tex] I_{1} = \int \frac{1 - x \exp{xy}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

[tex] I_{2} = \int \frac{1}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

[tex] I_{3} = \int \frac{- x \exp{xy}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

Now,

[tex] I_{2} = \int \frac{1}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

multiplying by [itex] \frac{\ln{y}}{\ln{y}} [/itex]

[tex] I_{2} = \frac{\ln{y}}{\ln{y}} \int \frac{1}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

[tex] I_{2} = \frac{1}{\ln{y}} \int \frac{\ln{y}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

Using substitution [itex] u = \frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y} [/itex] and therefore [itex] du = \ln{y} dx [/itex]

Now,

[tex] I_{2} = \frac{1}{\ln{y}} \int \frac{1}{u} du [/tex]

[tex] I_{2} = \frac{1}{\ln{y}} \ln{|\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}|} [/tex]

Any ideas about [itex] I_{3} [/itex] or the whole integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyclovenom said:
multiplying by [itex] \frac{\ln{y}}{\ln{y}} [/itex]

[tex] I_{2} = \frac{\ln{y}}{\ln{y}} \int \frac{1}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

[tex] I_{2} = \frac{1}{\ln{y}} \int \frac{\ln{y}}{\frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y}} dx [/tex]

Using substitution [itex] u = \frac{1}{y} + x \ln {y} [/itex] and therefore [itex] du = \ln{y} dx [/itex]

I don't think that's fair game.

There you go

[tex] \int \frac{1-xe^{xy}}{\frac {1}{y}+x\ln y}dx=\allowbreak \frac{\ln \left( \frac {1}{y}+x\ln y\right) }{\ln y}-\frac {1}{y\ln y}e^{xy}-\frac {1}{y\ln^{2}y}e^{-\frac 1{\ln y}}\func{Ei}\left( 1,-xy-\frac 1{\ln y}\right) +C[/tex]

Daniel.

Thanks Dexter :smile:, i guess my first integral was correct ([itex] I_{2} [/itex]) but the second one ([itex] I_{3} [/itex]) , whoa what a mess...

By the way, any idea for solving the [itex] I_{3} [/itex] ?, i haven't been able to see anything... maybe i can rewrite it someway... i'll let you all know if i can.

Whozum? what do you mean? y is being kept as a constant...

Last edited:
You'll have to dig it somehow (make algebraic calculations and prossibly changes of integration variable) as to get it in the standard form of the Ei function.

Daniel.

1. What is a problem with an integral?

An integral problem refers to a mathematical calculation that involves finding the area under a curve or the volume of a solid. It can also involve finding the antiderivative of a function.

2. How do you solve a problem with an integral?

To solve an integral problem, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to understand the fundamental principles of integration and how to apply them to different types of integrals.

3. What are some common mistakes made when solving an integral problem?

Some common mistakes when solving an integral problem include incorrect substitution, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work for any errors.

4. Can an integral problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an integral problem can have multiple solutions. This is because there are different integration techniques that can be used to solve the same problem. However, all solutions should give the same final answer.

5. How can I check if my solution to an integral problem is correct?

You can check your solution by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found and seeing if it gives you the original function. You can also use online integration calculators or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.