Problem with finding angle using dot products

• Thread starter potetochippu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Dot
In summary, to find the cosines of the internal angles of a triangle with coordinate vectors A(4,0,2), B(6,2,1), and C(5,1,6), you must use the dot product of two vectors that share a common vertex. It is recommended to ensure that the first letters of the vectors are the same in order to avoid confusion. This will result in a positive value for acute angles and a negative value for obtuse angles.
potetochippu

Homework Statement

Find the cosines of the internal angles of the triangle which has the following coordinate vectors as its vertices: A(4,0,2) B(6,2,1) C(5,1,6)

Homework Equations

I understand that you have to find the 3 vectors which represents each side of the triangle in order to get the cosine.

My problem is, which vectors do I use for each angle? Let's say that I want to find the cosine of the angle at vertex B. Do I use vector AB and BC or do I use BA and BC? When I use AB(b-a=(2,2,-1)) and BC(c-b=(-1,-1,5)) the dot product of the vectors are negative whereas when I use BA and BC its positive hence I get different answers. Which one do I use and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should order the dot product so that the same vertex comes at the start or end of both vectors. So either AB.AC or BA.CA is OK to find the cosine of the angle at vertex A. To avoid confusion, I'd say just stick with the first "rule" (make sure the first letters are the same).

This will give you a positive value if the internal angle is acute, and a negative value if the internal angle is obtuse.

1. What is the dot product method used for finding angles?

The dot product method is a mathematical technique used to calculate the angle between two vectors. It involves taking the dot product of the two vectors and using the formula cosθ = (a · b) / (|a| * |b|), where a and b are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them.

2. Why is there a problem with using dot products to find angles?

The main problem with using dot products to find angles is that it can only determine angles between 0 and 180 degrees. This is because the dot product formula only gives the absolute value of the angle, and does not provide information about the direction of the angle (whether it is clockwise or counterclockwise).

3. Is there a way to overcome the limitations of the dot product method for finding angles?

Yes, there are other mathematical techniques that can be used to find angles between vectors, such as the cross product or the arccosine function. These methods can provide a more accurate angle measurement, but they may require more complex calculations.

4. Can the dot product method still be useful for finding angles despite its limitations?

Yes, the dot product method can still be useful in certain situations, such as determining if two vectors are perpendicular (if their dot product is 0) or if one vector is a multiple of the other (if their dot product is equal to the product of their magnitudes).

5. Are there any other factors to consider when using the dot product method for finding angles?

Yes, when using the dot product to find angles, it is important to consider the units of measurement for the vectors. If the vectors are in different units, the resulting angle may not be accurate. It is also important to make sure the vectors are properly normalized (have a magnitude of 1) before calculating the dot product.