Problem with gravitation field perpendicular vector.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the discrepancy between two equations for the perpendicular component of vector A, one being ##\vec{A_\perp} = -{mG \over R^2}## and the other being ##\vec{A_\perp} = {- R G \rho \over 3}##. The speaker questions if it should actually be ##\vec{A_\perp} = -{4 \over 3} \pi R G \rho## and the expert agrees that the professor's version seems incorrect.
Abdu Ewais
since it is known that ##\vec{A_\perp} = -{mG \over R^2}## why did the professor write it as ##\vec{A_\perp} = {- R G \rho \over 3}## for perfect sphere with perfect mass distribution ? Shouldn't it be ##\vec{A_\perp} = -{4 \over 3} \pi R G \rho##? I need help thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your question, shouldn't that be a 4/3 instead of a 4? (But I agree that your professor's version seems off.)

Likes Abdu Ewais
Doc Al said:
If I understand your question, shouldn't that be a 4/3 instead of a 4? (But I agree that your professor's version seems off.)
Sorry got it off by a bit there. fixed

1. What is the problem with the gravitation field perpendicular vector?

The problem with the gravitation field perpendicular vector is that it is a theoretical construct that does not accurately describe the behavior of gravity in our universe. It assumes that the force of gravity is perpendicular to the surface of an object, which is not consistent with observations and experimental evidence.

2. How does this problem impact our understanding of gravity?

This problem challenges our current understanding of gravity and forces scientists to re-examine and refine existing theories. It also highlights the need for further research and exploration to better understand the nature of gravity.

3. Are there any proposed solutions to this problem?

There are various proposed solutions to this problem, including modifications to existing theories, such as general relativity, or the development of new theories that can better explain the behavior of gravity. Further experiments and observations are also needed to test these proposed solutions.

4. Can this problem be resolved?

While it is currently a challenge for scientists, it is possible that this problem can be resolved through further research and advancements in technology. As we continue to deepen our understanding of the laws of physics, it is likely that we will eventually find a solution to this problem.

5. How does this problem impact the study of other fields of science?

This problem not only affects the study of gravity, but it also has implications for other fields of science that rely on our understanding of gravity, such as cosmology and astrophysics. It is crucial for scientists to address and resolve this issue in order to advance our knowledge in these fields.