Problem with probability theory and random variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability theory task involving independent random variables X and Y with the same density function. The question is asking for the probability of P(X>Y) and it is calculated using the cdf of X. The solution is 1/2. The conversation then moves on to a similar question involving three independent random variables X, Y, and Z with a uniform distribution, and the conversation discusses the process of finding the probability P(XY<Z^2) using integrations. The conversation concludes with a question about where the equation P(X>Y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} G(y) f(y)\, dy comes from, which is explained as a sum over a
trenekas
Hello. I have a problem with probability theory task.
The task is:
X and Y is independent random variables with same density function fx=fy=f. What will be probability of P(X>Y).

This P(X>Y) reminds me a cdf: P(X>Y)=1-P(X<Y)=1-cdf of X.

Cdf of x is equal to integral ∫f dx from -inf to y.
But don't know how to continue because Y depends on its dencity. Maybe some one will be able to help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be clear that if x and y have the same probability distribution, then the probability x< y is the same as the probability y< x. And since this is a is a continuous distribution, the probability that x= y is 0.

So the answer is 1/2. hm :) ok

trenekas said:
So the answer is 1/2. hm :) ok

You can also get it using integration:
[tex] P(X>Y) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} G(y) f(y)\, dy,[/tex]
where ##G(y) = P(X>y)##. We have ##f(y) \, dy = -dG(y),## so
[tex] P(X>Y) = -\frac{1}{2} \left. G(y)^2 \right|_{-\infty}^{\infty} = 1/2. [/tex]

Also i have very similar question. Suppose that X,Y,Z are independent random variables and uniformly distributed in the interval [0;1]. What will be P(XY<Z^2)
From that i know that density of all thre r.v. is 1 if xε[0,1] and 0 otherwise.
So fx*fy=1 when x[0;1] and 0 otherwise. cdf of this would be F=x when x[0;1] and 0 otherwise...
But what's about Z^2?

trenekas said:
Also i have very similar question. Suppose that X,Y,Z are independent random variables and uniformly distributed in the interval [0;1]. What will be P(XY<Z^2)
From that i know that density of all thre r.v. is 1 if xε[0,1] and 0 otherwise.
So fx*fy=1 when x[0;1] and 0 otherwise. cdf of this would be F=x when x[0;1] and 0 otherwise...
But what's about Z^2?

Start by writing down the integrations you need to perform.

Ray Vickson said:
You can also get it using integration:
where ##G(y) = P(X>y)##. We have ##f(y) \, dy = -dG(y),## so
[tex] P(X>Y) = -\frac{1}{2} \left. G(y)^2 \right|_{-\infty}^{\infty} = 1/2. [/tex]
I want to ask, from where you get this:
G(y) is cdf and f(y) density?

trenekas said:
I want to ask, from where you get this:
G(y) is cdf and f(y) density?
P[X>Y] = ƩP[X>Y|Y[itex]\in[/itex]I]P[Y[itex]\in[/itex]I], where the sum is over a partition of the range of Y. In the limit of vanishingly small intervals I, that produces the integral.

1. What is probability theory and why is it important in science?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events or phenomena. It provides a framework for predicting the likelihood of specific outcomes in situations where there are multiple possible outcomes. It is important in science because it allows us to make informed decisions and predictions based on data and evidence, and helps us understand and quantify uncertainty in our observations and experiments.

2. What is a random variable and how is it used in probability theory?

A random variable is a variable that can take on different values randomly or by chance. In probability theory, it is used to model and analyze the outcomes of random experiments or events. It can be discrete, meaning it can only take on a finite or countable number of values, or continuous, meaning it can take on any value within a certain range.

3. What are some common problems with probability theory and how can they be addressed?

One common problem with probability theory is the assumption of independence between events, which may not always hold true in real-world situations. This can be addressed by using more advanced techniques such as conditional probability. Another problem is the use of small sample sizes, which can lead to inaccurate or misleading results. This can be addressed by increasing the sample size or using statistical methods to account for uncertainty.

4. How is probability theory used in data analysis and statistics?

Probability theory is the foundation of statistics and is used extensively in data analysis. It allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample, and to quantify the uncertainty associated with our estimates. It is also used to test hypotheses and make decisions based on the likelihood of different outcomes.

5. What are some real-world applications of probability theory and random variables?

Probability theory and random variables have many practical applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and medicine. They are used to model and predict stock market movements, design reliable and efficient systems, and assess the effectiveness of treatments and medications. They are also used in everyday situations such as weather forecasting and predicting the outcomes of sports events.