Problem with the reaction forces in the gearbox

In summary, the author is trying to find the reactions of the bearings on the Y direction in the intermediate shaft. However, he is having difficulty understanding the equations of moments and is having difficulty calculating the reactions.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
Look at the image
Relevant Equations
Monet equilibrium
Conservation of energy
Gears ratio
Greetings, I have tried to find the reactions of the bearings on the Y direction in the intermediate shaft. but I couldn´t find the numerical results of the solutions

1649427759575.png

1649427835373.jpeg

here is my attempt:
1649428064327.jpeg

in order to find the forces I did the moment equilibruim around the point A and B
1649428643557.png

With FT1 FT2 and FT3 the tangential forces applied by the gears on the intermediate shaft and RyA and RyB are the reaction forces I´m trying to find.

as you could see my reaction forces are
RAy= 3831,63 N
Rby=-1402,92
the solution says
Ray=-3687N
Rby=278,52N
I don´t know what´s wrong with my approach!

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The last picture is barely visible.
How are you obtaining the value of each tangential force on the gears?

Likes Amaelle
thank you!
  • for Ft1 :we started by calculating the torque of the motor
Cm =power motor/Wmotor=194,26Nm
then Ft1 =Cm/r1
with r1=(z1*m/2) m is the modulus of the gear
we got FT1=6167 N.

• For Ft3:
  • we calculated w6 the velocity of the load 2 with the gears ratio we got w6=18,75 rad/s
  • C6=Power load1/w6=985N.m
  • by the gear ratio we could get C4=518,47N
  • FT3=C4/r4=7014N
  • For FT7
  • w7=34,89 rad/s (by gear ratio)
  • C load 2=power load 2/w7 =343,94N
  • C8 =C load 2* z5/z6 =3275,6N,m
  • FT7=C8/r8=3275,6 N
In order to have the reactions RyA and RyB I just made the torque equilibruim around A and B

Likes Lnewqban
Amaelle,
Here are your errors:
The calculated values of the tangential forces are all correct.
The equations of moments about bearings A and B are not.

Revise the distances between each force and the bearings.
You need to make a distinction regarding the direction of tangential forces on the intermediate gears and shaft.
Consider the flow of energy, it moves downstream: the input driven gear "feels" different than the output driving gears.
The function of the reaction forces is to keep the shaft in its spatial position regarding the forces on the gears.

It seems that you have a persistent difficult with Free body diagrams and the direction of the forces.
I recommend you to re-visit that chapter, since you seem to be very strong in everything else you have done in this and other threads.

Also, are you supposed to calculate the reaction forces on both planes?
I ask because the solution values that you show seem to be accounting for the contact pressure angle (thrust force on plane z-x), rather than being reasonable for the power force on plane z-y.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Amaelle
Lnewqban said:
Amaelle,
Here are your errors:
The calculated values of the tangential forces are all correct.
The equations of moments about bearings A and B are not.

Revise the distances between each force and the bearings.
You need to make a distinction regarding the direction of tangential forces on the intermediate gears and shaft.
Consider the flow of energy, it moves downstream: the input driven gear "feels" different than the output driving gears.
The function of the reaction forces is to keep the shaft in its spatial position regarding the forces on the gears.

It seems that you have a persistent difficult with Free body diagrams and the direction of the forces.
I recommend you to re-visit that chapter, since you seem to be very strong in everything else you have done in this and other threads.

Also, are you supposed to calculate the reaction forces on both planes?
I ask because the solution values that you show seem to be accounting for the contact pressure angle (thrust force on plane z-x), rather than being reasonable for the power force on plane z-y.
thanks a million! you mean that my feeybody diagram is wrong? if so this might explain why my results are wrong?
Could you tell what are the wrong directions?
yes the exercice ask about the the reactions on the the other plane by I can solve them once i fix this first!
thanks a million!

1649615179592.png

I used an online software to calculate the reactions and I got the same results if my initially supposed directions are correct.
(ignore the fact that I inverted the bearings here as I´m not calculating forces in the x directions right now)

1. What is the problem with reaction forces in the gearbox?

The problem with reaction forces in the gearbox is that they can cause excessive wear and tear on the gears, leading to potential failure and damage to the gearbox.

2. How do reaction forces affect the performance of the gearbox?

Reaction forces can create unwanted vibrations and noise, which can decrease the efficiency and smoothness of the gearbox's operation. They can also cause the gears to shift or misalign, resulting in decreased performance and potential damage.

3. What can cause excessive reaction forces in a gearbox?

There are several factors that can contribute to excessive reaction forces in a gearbox, including improper gear alignment, uneven loading, and inadequate lubrication. Additionally, worn or damaged gears can also increase reaction forces.

4. How can the problem of reaction forces in a gearbox be addressed?

The best way to address the problem of reaction forces in a gearbox is to ensure proper gear alignment, evenly distribute loads, and use high-quality lubricants. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become more significant problems.

5. Can the problem of reaction forces be prevented altogether?

While it may not be possible to completely prevent reaction forces in a gearbox, proper maintenance and care can significantly reduce their impact. Ensuring proper gear alignment, using high-quality lubricants, and regularly inspecting and replacing worn or damaged gears can help minimize the effects of reaction forces on the gearbox.