Problem with the sum of a Fourier series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 3K views
Amaelle
Messages
318
Reaction score
55
Homework Statement
Look at the image
Relevant Equations
Fourier serie
Good day
1612882634390.png


I really don't understand how they got this result? for me the sum of the Fourier serie of of f is equal to f(2)=log(3)
any help would be highly appreciated!
thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Sounds reasonable. However:
what is the sum at ##\ x=2+\epsilon\ ## with ##\ \ 0<\epsilon <<< 1\ ## ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Amaelle
thanks for your prompt answer,
as I saw it, I can't plug it the function f(x), so I really have no clue ...:oldconfused:
 
The function is periodic, so ##f(2+\epsilon) = f(-{1\over2}+\epsilon)##.
What is ## f(-{1\over2})## ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Amaelle
f(-1/2)=f(2)=log(3) as they are periodic, right?
 
And it jumps down to what when you go a little further ?
 
so maybe I got you
In this region the value of f(-1/2)=0 so the we are in discountinous stepwise function, in which tthe value of f(2+e)
bounces between 2 and 0?
 
[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}f(-\tfrac12 + \epsilon) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} |\log(-\tfrac12 + \epsilon)| = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0}\log(\tfrac{2}{1 - 2\epsilon}) = ?[/tex]
 
BvU said:
## f(-{1\over2}) = 0 ## ? :nb)
no I meant f(-1/2 +ε) =log(1+ε) =0 because -1/2 does not belong to the definition domain
 
pasmith said:
[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \to 0}f(-\tfrac12 + \epsilon) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} |\log(-\tfrac12 + \epsilon)| = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0}\log(\tfrac{2}{1 - 2\epsilon}) = ?[/tex]
log(2)
 
Amaelle said:
log(2)
but sorry just one question
lim f(-1/2 + epsilon)= lim |log(-1/2+epsilon)|=lim -log(-1/2+ epsilon)=lim log(2/(2epsilon-1)) I think there us a small problem with the sign no?
 
What is ##\bigl |\log {1\over 2} \bigr |## ?
 
Amaelle said:
because -1/2 does not belong to the definition domain
Correct, but does it make any difference for the Fourier series ? Do you calculate something different for ##\ (-{1\over 2}, 2]\ ## than for ##\ [-{1\over 2}, 2)\ ## ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Amaelle
BvU said:
Correct, but does it make any difference for the Fourier series ? Do you calculate something different for ##\ (-{1\over 2}, 2]\ ## than for ##\ [-{1\over 2}, 2)\ ## ?
not does not
 
BvU said:
What is ##\bigl |\log {1\over 2} \bigr |## ?
|log(2)|=log(2)
 
Yes; I hope you got it right: ##\ \bigl |\log{1\over 2}\bigr | = |-\log 2\bigr | = \log 2 \ .##

So at ##x=2## the Fourier sum jumps from ##\log 3 ## to ##\log 2 ##. What's the average ?

##\ ##
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd and Amaelle
So somehow the subtle difference between ranges ##\ (-{1\over 2}, 2]\ ## and ##\ [-{1\over 2}, 2)\ ## is 'lost in transformation' :rolleyes:

##\ ##
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Amaelle
BvU said:
So somehow the subtle difference between ranges ##\ (-{1\over 2}, 2]\ ## and ##\ [-{1\over 2}, 2)\ ## is 'lost in transformation' :rolleyes:

##\ ##
yes , thanks a million, that was a nice explanation!