1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with unknown functions in integrals

1. Apr 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I often have a problem dealing with unknown functions in derivations. Recently I was looking at variance of pdf's and tried to do the integral below with no success. Could someone suggest a method, or point out where I am going wrong.

2. Relevant equations
    Show ∫(x - μ)2 f(x) dx = ∫x2 f(x) dx - μ2

3. The attempt at a solution
    ∫x2 f(x) dx -2μ∫x f(x) dx + μ2 ∫f(x) dx

then i try to solve by parts,
    x2F(x) - 2∫xF(x)dx - 2μ(xF(x) - ∫F(x)dx) + μ2F(x)
    where F(x) = ∫f(x)dx

this doesn't really get me anywhere, does anyone have any suggestions??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try f(x) = 1 and the equation does not hold.

4. Apr 6, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The result is fasle as written, but it can be made true if written properly (and is then an elementary property developed in Probability 101). I assume that μ is the mean of the distribution f(x)---is that right?

You need to specify limits on all the integrations. If f(x) is the pdf of a random variable on the whole line, the limits are -∞ to +∞. If the random variable is non-negative the limits are 0 and +∞, etc. In any case, for a random variable on ##(a,b)## just substitute in the known values of ##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx## and ##\int_a^b x f(x) \, dx##.

5. Apr 6, 2014 #4
    thanks, yes you're correct μ is the mean. So for definite integrals you just sub in μ=∫xf(x)dx and ∫f(x)=1.

6. Apr 6, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, exactly!

For the record: the result is true in general for any random variable X having finite variance---whether X is continuous, discrete or mixed. The discrete case involves sums instead of integrals, and the mixed case involves both (or Stieltjes' integrals instead of Riemann integrals). The general result is that
    [tex] \text{Var} X \equiv E(X - EX)^2 = E(X^2) - (EX)^2[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. Apr 6, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that
    [tex]\int (x- \mu)^2f(x)dx= \int (x^2- 2\mu x+ \mu^2)f(x) dx= \int x^2f(x)dx- 2\mu\int xf(x)dx+ \mu^2\int f(x)dx[/tex]

Now use the fact that, as you say, [itex]\int f(x)dx= 1[/itex] and [itex]\int xf(x)dx= \mu[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted