Problems about calculating acceleration,velocity

• Thread starter acelya
  • Start date
In summary: From the equation for v, you would know that the car was going 18 meters in the first second. So c2 would be 0.18.
acelya

Homework Statement

A car, as shown in the figure, is going in a curvilinear road. The size of the car will be neglected.

Homework Equations

Its acceleration is a = 0.5*e^t m/s^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

If it goes 18 meters on its way, then calculate its velocity and acceleration.

I have one more question. A particle is making linear action. Its velocity in the origin is 4 m/s. If particle is slowing down with acceleration a = -3/2*v^1/2 m/s^2, calculate the elapse time and its taking way until it stops(v=0).

Hope I could explain my questions clearly. How can I calculate them? Please help me.

Attachments

• problem-set-5.doc
    44.5 KB · Views: 163
Physics news on Phys.org
acelya said:
Its acceleration is a = 0.5*e^t m/s^2.
I assume that is the tangential acceleration.

If it goes 18 meters on its way, then calculate its velocity and acceleration.
Given acceleration, how do you find velocity and distance?

Yes, that is the tangential acceleration.

I don't know how can I find their values, bacause it is going on a curvilinear road and there is a p value (you can see in the figure) p=30m. I must use this value of p.

acelya said:
Yes, that is the tangential acceleration.

I don't know how can I find their values, bacause it is going on a curvilinear road and there is a p value (you can see in the figure) p=30m. I must use this value of p.
You'll use the radius to find the centripetal component of the acceleration.

But first things first. How can you find the velocity and distance, given the tangential acceleration? Hint: Calculus.

I must use the integral. Distance velocity v=0.5e^t+c1 and distance x=0.5e^t+c1t+c2 (c1,c2 constant values). But then, it is going 18 meters on the road.

acelya said:
I must use the integral. Distance velocity v=0.5e^t+c1 and distance x=0.5e^t+c1t+c2 (c1,c2 constant values). But then, it is going 18 meters on the road.
Good. What are c1 and c2? (Those depend on the initial conditions.)

But I don't know where the car was on the road firstly. If at t=0, it was in origin, then c1=-0,5 , c2=0. But, this question don't tell us it was in the origin at first.

acelya said:
But I don't know where the car was on the road firstly. If at t=0, it was in origin, then c1=-0,5 , c2=0. But, this question don't tell us it was in the origin at first.
You have to know the initial velocity and position or be able to make reasonable assumptions. That it starts from rest and at x = 0 seems reasonable. How did you get c2 = 0?

Related to Problems about calculating acceleration,velocity

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the total time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration shows how an object is speeding up or slowing down at a specific moment.

4. How does acceleration relate to velocity and displacement?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so it directly affects an object's velocity. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount every second. Additionally, displacement can be calculated using the formula d = vit + (1/2)at^2, where vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Acceleration is present in many everyday situations, such as a car accelerating from a stop, a ball falling towards the ground, or a person jumping off a diving board. It is also essential in sports, such as when a runner sprints or a skateboarder performs a trick. In space, objects experience acceleration due to gravity, which causes them to orbit around each other.