Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems Collimating 1550nm light

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm trying to obtain a collimated beam from my 1550 nm light source.

I have a fibered mono-mode source and when I analyze its profile with an IR camera at one end of the fiber, it appears clean.

But when I put an IR coated microscope objective or an IR coated lens between the end of the fiber and the camera to start to build my collimation system, interference rings appear.

I know that, for reflection, when you use a thin glass slide (for example) you obtain interferences but here, I can't explain why I obtain this phenomenon in transmission.

I tried to change my fiber, to put the end of the fiber at the focus length of the microscope objective, then closer to the optic or further, to use a lens with small focus length (2.5 mm) and bigger focus length (20 mm) ... I obtain these rings all the time.

I'm sure I missed something simple.
    Does anybody know how to deal with these rings ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2
    up :)

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3
    Can you confirm that the fringes appearing in IR coated lens case is the true fringes ? Is your system fully functional with IR lens ? Are you certain that the fringes are not due to interference of the reflected part of your IR beam and the IR source ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook