Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems with Greens' Theorem

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    Questions about Green's Theorem

When asked to demonstrate that Green's Theorem works, I keep coming up with disagreeing answers. I've been able to do the double integrals for the area of a region over a function F just fine, but whenever I try to integrate the same function over the closed curve using the normal vector, I keep getting zero... Say, I was integrating a function over a square. The double integral over the area works out just fine, but when I break the curve up into 4 sides, and try integrating each of those, I keep getting zero, because the opposite sides of the square cancel each other out. I don't really know what I'm missing, and it's been driving me nuts.:grumpy: Is there anything obvious that I'm just missing somehow?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

yeah, the function has different values on opposite sides of the square so why should they cancel?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?