What could be causing issues with Green's Theorem?

• Thread starter Chronocidal Guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with demonstrating Green's Theorem and the possibility of opposite sides of a square canceling each other out when integrating over a closed curve. The speaker is unsure of what they may be missing and is seeking clarification on the issue.
Chronocidal Guy
Questions about Green's Theorem

When asked to demonstrate that Green's Theorem works, I keep coming up with disagreeing answers. I've been able to do the double integrals for the area of a region over a function F just fine, but whenever I try to integrate the same function over the closed curve using the normal vector, I keep getting zero... Say, I was integrating a function over a square. The double integral over the area works out just fine, but when I break the curve up into 4 sides, and try integrating each of those, I keep getting zero, because the opposite sides of the square cancel each other out. I don't really know what I'm missing, and it's been driving me nuts.:grumpy: Is there anything obvious that I'm just missing somehow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, the function has different values on opposite sides of the square so why should they cancel?

There could be a few reasons why you are encountering problems with Green's Theorem. One possible issue could be that you are not using the correct orientation for the normal vector when integrating over the closed curve. The orientation of the normal vector should follow the right-hand rule, where your fingers curl in the direction of the curve and your thumb points in the direction of the normal vector. If you are not using the correct orientation, it could result in the opposite sides of the square canceling each other out.

Another potential issue could be that your function F is not continuous or differentiable over the entire region. Green's Theorem only applies to smooth functions, so if your function has any discontinuities or sharp corners, it may not work.

It's also possible that there could be a mistake in your calculations. Double check your work and make sure you are using the correct limits of integration and properly evaluating the integrals.

If you are still having trouble, it might be helpful to seek out a tutor or consult with your professor for further clarification on the concept. Sometimes having a fresh perspective can help identify any mistakes or misunderstandings. Don't get discouraged, Green's Theorem can be a tricky concept to grasp, but with practice and persistence, you will eventually get the hang of it.

What is Greens' Theorem?

Greens' Theorem is a mathematical tool used to evaluate the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve. It relates the line integral to the double integral of the partial derivatives of the vector field over the region enclosed by the curve.

What are the applications of Greens' Theorem?

Greens' Theorem has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force field, to determine the circulation and flux of a fluid, and to solve boundary value problems in electrostatics and magnetostatics, among others.

What are the limitations of Greens' Theorem?

Greens' Theorem is only applicable to two-dimensional vector fields and closed curves. It also assumes that the region enclosed by the curve is simply connected, meaning there are no holes or gaps in the region. Additionally, the vector field must have continuous first-order partial derivatives over the region.

How is Greens' Theorem related to Stokes' Theorem?

Greens' Theorem is a special case of Stokes' Theorem, which is a more general version of the theorem for three-dimensional vector fields and surfaces. Stokes' Theorem also includes the effects of curl in addition to divergence, unlike Greens' Theorem which only considers divergence.

Can Greens' Theorem be used to solve any problem involving vector fields?

No, Greens' Theorem is limited to certain types of problems that meet its requirements. It cannot be used to solve problems involving non-closed curves or three-dimensional vector fields. In some cases, other methods such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus may be more useful.