Problems with Laplace Transforms

In summary, using Laplace transform, the equations of motion for a particle moving along a plane curve can be solved to determine the coordinates (x,y) at any given time t. The particle moves along the curve 4x^2+4xy+5y^2=4 with initial conditions x=1 and y=0 at t=0.
faiz4000

Homework Statement

The coordinates ##(x,y)## of a particle moving along a plane curve at any time t, are given by

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} + 2x=\sin 2t,[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} - 2y=\cos 2t.[/tex]

If at ##t=0##, ##x=1## and ##y=0##, using Lapace transform show that the particle moves along the curve

[tex]4x^2+4xy+5y^2=4[/tex]

Homework Equations

note: Lowercase letters ##x##,##y## are functions of ##t##. Uppercase letters ##X##,##Y## are functions of ##s##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Apply Laplace Transform on the given equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} + 2x=\sin 2t~~~~~~~~(1)[/tex]

Applying LT,

[tex]sY-y(0)+2X=\frac{2}{s^2+4}[/tex]

[tex]2X+sY= \frac{2}{s^2+4}~~~~~~~~(2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} - 2y=\cos 2t~~~~~~~~(3)[/tex]

Applying LT,

[tex]sX-2Y=\frac{s^2+s+4}{s^2+4}~~~~~~~~(4)[/tex]

Now Solving ##(2)## and ##(4)## simultaneously,

[tex]X=-s^3-s^2-4s-4[/tex]

[tex]Y=2s^2+8[/tex]

Now I have to apply Inverse Laplace transform to get back ##x## and ##y## but i don't know how to get ILT of a constant... Also not sure everything I've done till now is right so please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry those fractions didn't come properly

Solving Simultaneous Differential Equations using Laplace Transform

Homework Statement

The coordinates (x,y) of a particle moving along a plane curve at any time t, are given by

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + 2x=sin2t,
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] - 2y=cos2t

If at t=0, x=1 and y=0, using Lapace transform show that the particle moves along the curve

4x2+4xy+5y2=4

Homework Equations

note: Lowercase letters x,y are functions of t. Uppercase letters X,Y are functions of s.

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + 2x=sin2t -1

Applying LT,

sY-y(0)+2X=[itex]\frac{2}{s2+4}[/itex]

2X+sY=[itex]\frac{2}{s2+4}[/itex] -2

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] - 2y=cos2t -3

Applying LT,

sX-2Y=[itex]\frac{s2+s+4}{s2+4}[/itex] -4

Now Solving 2 and 4 simultaneously,

X=-s3-s2-4s-4

Y=2s2+8

Now I have to apply Inverse Laplace transform to get back x and y but i don't know how to get ILT of a constant... Also not sure everything I've done till now is right so please help

Hmpf, I left that as an exercise to the reader.

Your simultaneous solutions for X and Y are incorrect. Try again.

Chet

faiz4000 said:

Homework Statement

The coordinates (x,y) of a particle moving along a plane curve at any time t, are given by

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + 2x=sin2t,
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] - 2y=cos2t

If at t=0, x=1 and y=0, using Lapace transform show that the particle moves along the curve

4x2+4xy+5y2=4

Homework Equations

note: Lowercase letters x,y are functions of t. Uppercase letters X,Y are functions of s.

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] + 2x=sin2t -1
Where did the -1 come from?
Applying LT,

sY-y(0)+2X=[itex]\frac{2}{s2+4}[/itex]

2X+sY=[itex]\frac{2}{s2+4}[/itex] -2

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] - 2y=cos2t -3

Where did the -3 come from?

Applying LT,

sX-2Y=[itex]\frac{s2+s+4}{s2+4}[/itex] -4

Now Solving 2 and 4 simultaneously,

X=-s3-s2-4s-4

Y=2s2+8

If the -1 and -3 are supposed to be in there, you didn't transform them. And given the equations you have, how did you get those values for X and Y?

those were eqn numbers...eqn 1 and eqn 3... I had left space but it didn't reflect in the post...I found my mistake... it was in solving the simultaneous eqns...you actually get X=(s+1)/(s^2+4)
Y=-s/(s^2+4)

thanx for your help

1. What are Laplace transforms and why are they used?

Laplace transforms are mathematical tools used to solve differential equations. They transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze and solve complex systems. They are particularly useful in engineering and physics for modeling dynamic systems.

2. What are some common problems with Laplace transforms?

One common problem with Laplace transforms is the existence of singularities, which can cause difficulties in finding the inverse transform. Another issue is the convergence of the transform, as some functions may not have a Laplace transform due to their rapid growth or oscillations.

3. How can I solve problems with Laplace transforms?

To solve problems with Laplace transforms, it is important to have a good understanding of the properties and techniques involved. Familiarizing yourself with the table of Laplace transforms and practicing with different examples can also help in solving problems. Additionally, using software programs such as MATLAB can aid in solving complex systems.

4. What are some real-life applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have various real-life applications, such as in electronic circuit analysis, control systems, and signal processing. They are also used in solving differential equations that model physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transforms?

While Laplace transforms are a powerful tool in solving differential equations, they have some limitations. For example, they may not be suitable for solving boundary value problems or systems with discontinuous functions. Additionally, the inverse transform may not exist for some functions, making it impossible to use Laplace transforms to solve certain problems.