Product of Analytic Functions is Again Analytic (Non-Standard Proof)

Your Name]In summary, the question is about proving that the product of two analytic functions is analytic. One approach is to use the Cauchy integral formula, while the other is to apply the discrete Fubini theorem. The key is to show that the Cauchy product of the power series is also a power series, which can be done by interchanging the double sum and using the positivity of the coefficients. The convergence of the individual power series can then be used to prove the convergence of the Cauchy product and show that the product of the two functions is analytic.
TaylorM0192
Hello,

I'm trying to prove that the product of two analytic functions is analytic. Specifically, given their power series representations about some point (let's just say they're both analytic at z = 0, and have the same radii of convergence for convenience), prove that the Cauchy product of these power series (a) converges and (b) converges to the desired limit (i.e. the product of the original limits of partial sums of the power series).

The theorem is trivial if we appeal to Merten's theorem (or Abel's of course), as both power series are absolutely convergent on the interior of their disks of convergence, and therefore for all z in the disk, the Cauchy product not only converges, but converges to the product of limits.

I want to prove this another way, and the hint is to apply the discrete Fubini theorem, which states that (under appropriate hypotheses) you may interchange a double sum without affecting the limit. In particular, if you have a double sequence {a_ij} and sum(|a_j|) converges for each i = 1, 2, ... to some sequence {b_i} and sum(b_i) converges, then the interchange is valid (a sufficient condition which I proved in an earlier exercise is that if each term of a_ij is positive, then the interchange is always valid, and this follows from rearrangements not affecting the convergence of absolutely converging series: that is, the interchanges each converge to the same value, or diverge together to infinity).

I did a little scratch work and wasn't really able to come up with anything substantive toward a solution. Basically my idea was to form the Cauchy product of the series and then find suitable candidates for the a_j and b_i series...but I'm having difficulty in even seeing the connection of this theorem to the problem.

If anyone could provide a more illuminating hint, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks ~

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The product of two analytic functions is indeed analytic, and there are a few different ways to prove this. One approach is to use the Cauchy integral formula, which states that the coefficient of z^n in the power series expansion of a function f(z) is given by the contour integral of f(z)/z^(n+1) around a small circle centered at the origin. Using this, we can show that the Cauchy product of two power series is also a power series, and thus the product of the two functions is analytic.

To prove this using the discrete Fubini theorem, we can consider the Cauchy product as a double sum of the coefficients of the two power series. As you mentioned, we can interchange the sums as long as the terms are positive. In this case, we can show that the terms are indeed positive by noting that the coefficients of the power series are non-negative, and thus the Cauchy product is also non-negative. From there, we can use the convergence of the individual power series to show that the Cauchy product also converges, and thus the product of the two functions is analytic.

I hope this helps guide you towards a solution. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your proof!

1. What is the definition of an analytic function?

An analytic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined derivative at each point, and thus can be approximated by a polynomial in a small neighborhood around each point.

2. Can you provide an example of an analytic function?

One example of an analytic function is the complex exponential function, f(z) = ez, where z is a complex number. This function is differentiable at every point in the complex plane and can be approximated by its Taylor series expansion at any point.

3. What does it mean for two functions to be a product of analytic functions?

Two functions, f(z) and g(z), are considered to be a product of analytic functions if their product, f(z)g(z), is also an analytic function. This means that the product function is differentiable at every point in its domain.

4. What is the non-standard proof for showing that the product of analytic functions is again analytic?

The non-standard proof for this theorem involves using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that a function is analytic if and only if it satisfies a set of partial differential equations. By using these equations, it can be shown that the product of two analytic functions also satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, thus proving its analyticity.

5. Why is it important to prove that the product of analytic functions is analytic?

This theorem is important because it allows us to extend the properties of analytic functions to products of analytic functions. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, as many natural phenomena can be described using products of analytic functions.