1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Professor in two similiar areas

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    Hey everyone. I see people give a lot of great advice in this forum, so I'd like to get everyone's input. I have a B.S. in Physics and I'm getting ready to start a graduate program in Meteorology to work on my Ph.d. I really would like to be a professor in the future. Now, I know that jobs in academia are very, very hard to land. I'm aware of this, but this is what I want to do above everything else, so I have to try. I may end up forecasting somewhere (if I can find that), but I want to at least attempt a career as a professor or I will never be happy.

My question isn't about my chances to land a job, but about qualifications. Meteorology and Physics are very closely related as Meteorology can be considered a branch of Physics. However, Meteorology has branched out as it's own field as a lot of universities have Meteorology departments seperate from Physics. If I were to also gain a M.S. in Physics in the future along with my Ph.d in Meteorology, would I be qualified to be a professor of Physics for a Physics department as well as a Meteorology professor since the two fields are so closely related? I know of one department that a Meteorology professor who is tenured who teaches and conducts research for both the Meteorology department and the Engineering department. He told me he had a B.S and M.S. in Engineering and a Ph.d in Meteorology. Surely, since the two are so closely related, I wouldn't need a Ph.d in Physics and a Ph.d in Meteorology. I would never consider two Ph.ds anyway. Just curious about this. Anyone know how this would work?

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    Pretty unlikely for a research university. Having two post-docs and a Ph.D. in the field is close to an absolute requirement for a physics professorship. For a teaching university or community college, it's possible, maybe even encouraged.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4
    I've only known one dual department professor, and he has a Nobel prize in physics.

6. Sep 16, 2011 #5
    If your interests are in meteorology, why does it matter if you have a professorship in physics if, as you say, meteorology is becoming its own separate department?

And I've seen a lot of physical chemists do atmospheric research. Not sure what to make of it, but its something I wanted to point out.

EDIT: something I want to point out. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but my school's physics department has 45 professors, 3 of whom have joint appointments. My school's chem department has about 50 professors, 10 of whom have joint appointments.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook