Professor in two similiar areas

In summary: My school's meteorology department has 6 professors, 4 of whom have joint appointments. In summary, the fields of Meteorology and Physics are closely related, with Meteorology being considered a branch of Physics. However, many universities have separate departments for each field. It is possible to be a Physics professor with a Ph.D. in Meteorology, but it is more likely to be an adjunct position. Having a Ph.D. in Physics and an M.S. in Meteorology would provide more opportunities, and it is rare to find a dual-department professor. Meteorology and Physics professors may also have joint appointments in other related departments. Ultimately, it is important to consider your interests and goals when deciding on a Ph.D. program.
stormguy
Hey everyone. I see people give a lot of great advice in this forum, so I'd like to get everyone's input. I have a B.S. in Physics and I'm getting ready to start a graduate program in Meteorology to work on my Ph.d. I really would like to be a professor in the future. Now, I know that jobs in academia are very, very hard to land. I'm aware of this, but this is what I want to do above everything else, so I have to try. I may end up forecasting somewhere (if I can find that), but I want to at least attempt a career as a professor or I will never be happy.

My question isn't about my chances to land a job, but about qualifications. Meteorology and Physics are very closely related as Meteorology can be considered a branch of Physics. However, Meteorology has branched out as it's own field as a lot of universities have Meteorology departments separate from Physics. If I were to also gain a M.S. in Physics in the future along with my Ph.D. in Meteorology, would I be qualified to be a professor of Physics for a Physics department as well as a Meteorology professor since the two fields are so closely related? I know of one department that a Meteorology professor who is tenured who teaches and conducts research for both the Meteorology department and the Engineering department. He told me he had a B.S and M.S. in Engineering and a Ph.D. in Meteorology. Surely, since the two are so closely related, I wouldn't need a Ph.D. in Physics and a Ph.D. in Meteorology. I would never consider two Ph.ds anyway. Just curious about this. Anyone know how this would work?

I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
stormguy said:
Meteorology and Physics are very closely related as Meteorology can be considered a branch of Physics. However, Meteorology has branched out as it's own field as a lot of universities have Meteorology departments separate from Physics. [/QUOTE

If you want to be technical any physical and biological science or engineering field is an applied branch of physics.

I would say it is possible to be a Physics Professor with a PhD in Meteorology, but it do not be surprised if it is always an adjunct position. As an adjunct you most likely teach courses in your specialty. Probably would not teach most physics classes, due to the lack of a Physics PhD, depending on the school/program--except freshman/sophomore level courses. I also would think you probably could be on a physics student's committee, but would not advise physics students.

So, I would think Phd Physics and MS Meteorology would give the most freedom.

I honestly never came across dual-professor, they are usually a full professor in one department and adjunct in others.

Now if University has an interdisciplinary research institute/center or where there is a lot of collaboration between several departments, then they might be hiring faculty to be a full professor in two departments.

That being said, why would you want to put with two different administrations?

stormguy said:
If I were to also gain a M.S. in Physics in the future along with my Ph.D. in Meteorology, would I be qualified to be a professor of Physics for a Physics department as well as a Meteorology professor since the two fields are so closely related?

Pretty unlikely for a research university. Having two post-docs and a Ph.D. in the field is close to an absolute requirement for a physics professorship. For a teaching university or community college, it's possible, maybe even encouraged.

Goldenlemur said:
I honestly never came across dual-professor, they are usually a full professor in one department and adjunct in others.

I've only known one dual department professor, and he has a Nobel prize in physics.

If your interests are in meteorology, why does it matter if you have a professorship in physics if, as you say, meteorology is becoming its own separate department?

And I've seen a lot of physical chemists do atmospheric research. Not sure what to make of it, but its something I wanted to point out.

EDIT: something I want to point out. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but my school's physics department has 45 professors, 3 of whom have joint appointments. My school's chem department has about 50 professors, 10 of whom have joint appointments.

1. Who is a Professor in two similar areas?

A Professor in two similar areas is a highly qualified academic who has expertise in two specific fields of study and is responsible for teaching, research, and service in both areas.

2. What are the two areas of study that a Professor in two similar areas specializes in?

A Professor in two similar areas can specialize in any two fields of study that are closely related. For example, a Professor may have expertise in both Biology and Environmental Science, or Psychology and Sociology.

3. What qualifications are required to become a Professor in two similar areas?

In order to become a Professor in two similar areas, one typically needs to have a doctoral degree in one of the two areas of study and extensive knowledge and experience in the other. Additionally, a strong publication record and teaching experience are also usually required.

4. What are the responsibilities of a Professor in two similar areas?

A Professor in two similar areas is responsible for teaching courses in both areas of study, conducting research and publishing scholarly articles, and participating in service activities such as serving on committees and advising students.

5. How does a Professor in two similar areas contribute to the academic community?

A Professor in two similar areas brings a unique perspective and interdisciplinary approach to their teaching and research, which can benefit students and contribute to advancements in both fields of study. They also have the opportunity to collaborate with other experts and contribute to the overall knowledge and understanding of their areas of study.