Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Program for drawing communication figures

1. Feb 12, 2016 #1
    I am doing my thesis now and I will write it in Latex. But I need some kind of program to draw figures on communication symbols such as antennas, ADC converters, block diagrams with addition/subtraction/multiplication.

Probably this can be done in Latex, if so i would need some guidance on this, are there good documents that describe how to do this?

Otherwise i would be nice to use another program just for drawing figures.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 12, 2016 #3

fresh_42

I don't know what's possible in LaTeX but visio is a nice program with a lot of templates for figures in various fields.

5. Feb 12, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

6. Feb 12, 2016 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

I did all the diagrams for my dissertation in Latex using the Circuit_macros based on the m4 macro preprocessor.

It is a bit of an old-fashioned way of doing things but the figures look great in the end.

https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~aplevich/Circuit_macros/

If I were writing a dissertation today I would use Visio on a PC (that's what I use to draw diagrams for publication now).

7. Feb 12, 2016 #6

berkeman

Another vote for Visio... :smile:

8. Feb 12, 2016 #7

analogdesign

Science Advisor

9. Feb 12, 2016 #8

berkeman

Bookmarked! :smile:

10. Feb 12, 2016 #9
    Thanks for all the answers! You guys are awesome.

I will check out Visio and TinyCAD. Will read more about drawing figures in Latex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook