Program for drawing communication figures

In summary, there are various programs that can be used to draw figures in a communication or electrical diagram. LaTeX is a good program to use if you want to create a thesis or publication with figures. There are also other programs that can be used to draw figures, like Visio or MS Powerpoint.
beyondlight
I am doing my thesis now and I will write it in Latex. But I need some kind of program to draw figures on communication symbols such as antennas, ADC converters, block diagrams with addition/subtraction/multiplication.

Probably this can be done in Latex, if so i would need some guidance on this, are there good documents that describe how to do this?

Otherwise i would be nice to use another program just for drawing figures.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know what's possible in LaTeX but visio is a nice program with a lot of templates for figures in various fields.

I found this one also:

https://www.latex-tutorial.com/tutorials/advanced/latex-circuitikz/

I did all the diagrams for my dissertation in Latex using the Circuit_macros based on the m4 macro preprocessor.

It is a bit of an old-fashioned way of doing things but the figures look great in the end.

https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~aplevich/Circuit_macros/

If I were writing a dissertation today I would use Visio on a PC (that's what I use to draw diagrams for publication now).

Likes jedishrfu
Another vote for Visio... :smile:

Following up on Visio, here is an OUTSTANDING template from Oregon State University with lots of excellent circuit / EE symbols. I use it all the time.

https://secure.engr.oregonstate.edu/wiki/ams/index.php/DocumentationPrograms/Visio

The page even explains step-by-step how to insert figures drawn with Visio into Latex.

I can't really recommend Visio with the Oregon State templates enough.

Likes jedishrfu and berkeman
analogdesign said:
Following up on Visio, here is an OUTSTANDING template from Oregon State University with lots of excellent circuit / EE symbols. I use it all the time.

https://secure.engr.oregonstate.edu/wiki/ams/index.php/DocumentationPrograms/Visio

The page even explains step-by-step how to insert figures drawn with Visio into Latex.

I can't really recommend Visio with the Oregon State templates enough.
Bookmarked! :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
Thanks for all the answers! You guys are awesome.

I will check out Visio and TinyCAD. Will read more about drawing figures in Latex.

1. What is a program for drawing communication figures?

A program for drawing communication figures is a software application that allows users to create visual representations of data or concepts, typically used in the fields of science, technology, and engineering. These figures can include diagrams, graphs, flowcharts, and other types of illustrations.

2. What are the benefits of using a program for drawing communication figures?

Using a program for drawing communication figures can help to enhance understanding and communication of complex information. It allows for clear and concise visual representations, making it easier to present and interpret data. It also saves time and effort compared to manually creating figures.

3. What features should I look for in a program for drawing communication figures?

Some important features to consider when choosing a program for drawing communication figures are ease of use, a variety of design tools and templates, compatibility with different file formats, and the ability to add annotations and labels to figures.

4. Can I use a program for drawing communication figures for different types of figures?

Yes, most programs for drawing communication figures offer a range of features and tools that allow for the creation of various types of figures. This includes diagrams, graphs, flowcharts, and more.

5. Are there any free programs for drawing communication figures?

Yes, there are several free programs for drawing communication figures available online. Some popular options include Canva, Lucidchart, and Google Drawings. However, paid programs may offer more advanced features and templates.