Programmable polarity reversal circuit

In summary, the person is trying to consolidate soil using Electro-Osmosis and needs a circuit that will allow them to apply 10V but alternate polarity every minute. They are looking for a cheaper option for this and are considering using a pair of relays and a timer. The circuit should involve a 10V supply and should be able to power the timing electronics as well.
matrow
Hi so I am a Civil engineering student with very little knowledge in circuits so I apologize if this question is redundant or common.

I am trying to apply a current through a soil sample in order to consolidate it faster using Electro-Osmosis. Polarity Reversal should theoretically speed the process of consolidation. Hence I need a circuit that will allow me to apply 10V but alternate polarity every minute for example.
My sample has an anode and cathode at each end of the soil sample in a tube. I basically just need a circuit that reverse the polarity past the power supply.I need to make a circuit that applies voltage but will reverse polarity with a given time interval and I cannot seem to find a solution for this.
I am applying about 10V through DC and need to have like a programmable or modular circuit where we can change the timing of the polarity reversal, say 1min for 10V and then 1min for negative 10V and back to 1 minute of positive 10V. The timing has to be long (so no AC), this is what my trouble is in.

I believe the device link below is what we need but it is way to expensive for me to buy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIGITAL-PROGRAMMABLE-130V-100A-DC-POLARITY-REVERSING-RELAY-CONTACTOR-SWITCH-/190585630987

So can someone possibly give me a possible circuit with details to conduct this polarity reversal for longer intervals. Also, if you know of any cheaper devices that can do this, that would be also ideal.

If you need more details let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered using a pair of relays and a timer? I've used two 5 pin relays to reverse the direction of current successfully and i reckon it wouldn't be difficult to use some sort of timer to switch the relays.

circuit where we can change the timing of the polarity reversal, say 1min for 10V and then 1min for negative 10V and back to 1 minute of positive 10V.
Roughly, how many amps are involved?

Is this a short-term experiment, so battery operation of the timing/switching circuit would be okay? Otherwise ... this 10V supply you are using, what does that look like? Could it be used for powering the timing electronics, too?

1. What is a programmable polarity reversal circuit?

A programmable polarity reversal circuit is an electronic device that is designed to switch the polarity (positive or negative) of an electrical signal. This type of circuit is commonly used in audio and data transmission systems to correct for phase errors or to cancel out unwanted noise.

2. How does a programmable polarity reversal circuit work?

A programmable polarity reversal circuit typically consists of transistors, diodes, and other electronic components that are configured in a specific way to allow the incoming signal to be reversed. The circuit may also include a control mechanism, such as a microcontroller, that allows for programmable switching of the polarity.

3. What are the benefits of using a programmable polarity reversal circuit?

One of the main benefits of using a programmable polarity reversal circuit is its ability to correct for phase errors and eliminate noise in a signal. This can greatly improve the quality and clarity of audio and data transmissions. Additionally, these circuits can be easily programmed and integrated into various electronic systems.

4. How is a programmable polarity reversal circuit different from a regular polarity reversal circuit?

A regular polarity reversal circuit is designed to simply reverse the polarity of an electrical signal without any programmable capabilities. In contrast, a programmable polarity reversal circuit allows for more precise and flexible control over the polarity switching, making it more versatile and useful in a wider range of applications.

5. What are some common applications for a programmable polarity reversal circuit?

A programmable polarity reversal circuit is commonly used in audio and data transmission systems, as well as in electronic testing and measurement equipment. It can also be found in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in signal processing and communication systems.