Programming Jokes: Lame, Science & Math Jokes!

In summary: An oldie but a goodie: Why do programmers confuse halloween and Christmas?What do you call it when a story goes round a stable time loop and returns to its own beginning?CSS properties are pretty flexible and browser renderers can be pretty accommodating. For example, the font-size property can accept a few different units of measurement, including px and em.Why does it take programmers so long to wash their hair?Because on the shampoo bottle it says "Lather, rinse and repeat".Q: How do you comfort a JavaScript bug?A: You console it.From a college drinking song:An MIT computer man got drunk one
Wrichik Basu said:
If anybody tells you I fell into that one twice this afternoon they're liars and you shouldn't trust them, alright?

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
If anybody tells you I fell into that one twice this afternoon they're liars and you shouldn't trust them, alright?
Yup.

There you go…

ceu2w956wqja1.png

Borg said:
I get my ideas while sleeping. :cool:
So that's why so much code is somnambulant!

tfm7n2sdy2ka1.png

• Haha
Likes Borg, DaveC426913, jack action and 2 others
grb6hsnoh2ka1.jpg

• Haha
Likes berkeman, jack action, BillTre and 1 other person
1k81pVONrm8fTBLlEpvZUiF415VvzOOTIsNS_CYue4o.jpg

• Haha
Likes Ibix, strangerep, Filip Larsen and 3 others
hxz1xtg328pa1.png

Likes Grelbr42, Jonathan Scott, BillTre and 6 others
statistics-ai.jpg

Likes Klystron, Wrichik Basu, BillTre and 1 other person
Wrichik Basu said:
Ken Thompson

View attachment 323961
Heh, I'm surprised he would work for a company that was so stupid/ignorant as to not recognize who he is.

I'd never work for a company that tried to make me take a C++ proficiency test... :oldtongue:

Likes Wrichik Basu
strangerep said:
Heh, I'm surprised he would work for a company that was so stupid/ignorant as to not recognize who he is.
Cary Grant told a story of turning up for an internal flight when he was the Hollywood leading man and being greeted with a cheery "Good morning Mr Grant! I'll need to see some ID please." Sometimes procedure replaces common sense...

Last edited:
Likes phinds, jack action and Wrichik Basu
I'm glad my brain and nervous system automates a bunch of the stuff the other organs do, though. Imagine having to remember to breathe all the time...

Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
Ibix said:
I'm glad my brain and nervous system automates a bunch of the stuff the other organs do, though. Imagine having to remember to breathe all the time...
shopping

jbriggs444 said:
shopping
I must say I've never read it. Does Marlowe have to remember to breathe a lot or something?

Last edited:
Ibix said:
We once got to the airport and found our airline's staff logging check-ins by hand. Don't know if true or not, but the story we heard was that there had been a fire in their data center, and the backup data center was in the same building.

At least the safety record suggests that their pilots are a bit better at their jobs...
One of the first data centers I designed around 1995, the research labs were located on San Andreas fault lines. We used reflexive memory and multiple disk drives to duplicate the databases locally, and co-located to a secure commercial data center off major faults.

Mirrored the co-lo with a secure site on the East Coast. Low earthquake risk but high hurricane and storm risks. Oh yeah, the joke:

I built something similar for an online travel startup, carefully choosing a mirror site on Long Island, NY. Then a new CEO hired an "expert" Director who had once worked at Oracle. After I retired, they moved the mirror to Newark NJ where a cousin worked at a startup (dot com era). Last I heard they suffered two break ins with equipment theft, one fire with halon release on the replacement servers, then the Newark site folded.

So it goes, to quote Kurt Vonnegut.

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre and Ibix
Ibix said:
Technically we all have only three minutes left to live, but every breath we take resets the countdown.
- a meme I read

Likes Ibix, Wrichik Basu, jack action and 1 other person
DaveC426913 said:
Technically we all have only three minutes left to live, but every breath we take resets the countdown.
- a meme I read
See also Qi.

Likes Klystron