Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programming language to use to make plots from a database?

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    I am a graduate student who has basically no experience programming but I would like to learn so I decided to give myself a project. What I would like to do is build a web application that can plot data (2D & 3D) from a database. Once I get that far I would like to have the web application conduct model calculations. I would like users will be able to select the data they are interested in and then proceed to run a model.

What programming language would be best to proceed in this direction?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    OK. So what I have gathered so far is that I should develop the UI via HTML 5 (I would like this web app to be universal on almost nearly all platforms). Then outsource the data processes using API's to the likes of Wolfram or Microsoft's Azure.

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    I feel like I'm advocating this website a lot lately, but I'm very enthusiastic about it and I can't help but recommend it to anyone wanting to learn programming.

www.udacity.com

If you take CS101 you'll learn how to program in Python in (nominally) 7 weeks, although the course is not running per se, you'd take it in your own time (which could be a week). I'm currently taking CS253 which is web application programming in Python using the Google App Engine framework and a backend SQL database.

They won't teach you graphics, but you should probably learn the basics first.

Take a peek, I think it would be a very good path to consider - Python will do everything you need, it's pretty easy to pick up, it's interpreted (no compiling - interactive and rapid development) it has great math libraries, it's cross platform.

Having said that, you could accomplish what you want with almost any language / platform you choose.

5. May 9, 2012 #4
    Thank you for the replies! I have been playing around with Code Academy [codeacademy.com] for a few weeks and I'll look into udacity as well. I guess what I was wondering where programming for the web is headed and what were the types of things I should keep in mind. But it appears I just need to start doing and I'll find my way there eventually.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook