Project Motion/Trigonometry Question

In summary, Project Motion and Trigonometry are two related topics in mathematics that involve the study of motion and angles. Project Motion deals with the analysis and prediction of an object's movement, while Trigonometry focuses on the relationships between angles and sides of triangles. Together, these concepts are essential in understanding and solving real-world problems involving motion and direction, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or determining the speed and direction of an object's movement. By utilizing mathematical equations and formulas, these fields provide a deeper understanding of the physical world and allow for more accurate predictions and solutions.
MrDickinson
Homework Statement
A projectile is fired in such a way that its horizontal range is equal to three times its maximum height. What is the angle of Projection.
Relevant Equations
There are no given equations for this problem.
My reasoning and answer is wrong, but I cannot figure out why.

Perhaps it is strange, perhaps not, but I want to figure out why my initial method of solving this problem did yield an incorrect answer.

I began by creating an equation and drawing a right triangle.

x is the horizontal part of the triangle, y is the vertical part of the triangle, h is the hypotenuse.

I wrote the following equation:

(1/3)x=y

multiple both sides by (1/x)

(y/x)=1/3

tan(theta)=1/3

acrtang(1/3)=theta

My solution is wrong, but I don't know why.

Can someone please explain why my reasoning is not correct and doesn't yield the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
MrDickinson said:
Can someone please explain why my reasoning is not correct and doesn't yield the right answer?
Your solution assumes that the projectile travels in a straight line. It doesn't.

Instead, express the max height and range in terms of the projection angle.

Likes MrDickinson
Also, don't forget the projectile first rises, then falls. There is an important factor of 2.

Klystron said:
[*** Quote removed at the request of @Klystron who deleted the post being quoted ***]
How do you figure? As @Doc Al observed,
Doc Al said:
Your solution assumes that the projectile travels in a straight line. It doesn't.

Last edited:
Likes MrDickinson
MrDickinson said:
My solution is wrong, but I don't know why.

How do you know it's wrong? What is it you are comparing to?

Likes MrDickinson
DEvens said:
How do you know it's wrong? What is it you are comparing to?

Dear Sir or Madam:

I did all of my work, then I checked the answer in the back of the book (this does not give a solution, just a plain answer).

With the wrong answer in mind, I really wanted to understandand why my reasoning was incorrect so that I understand the problem with greater depth.

The answers here have been very helpful.

Thanks

kuruman said:
How do you figure? As @Doc Al observed,

Thank you.

Doc Al said:

Instead, express the max height and range in terms of the projection angle.

Thank you. That is very helpful information.

Is it fair to say that the angle of projection is, with respect to the position of the object, is constantly changing?

Thanks

MrDickinson said:
Is it fair to say that the angle of projection is, with respect to the position of the object, is constantly changing?
The angle of projection is just the angle that the projectile is launched -- the angle its initial velocity vector makes with the horizontal. The object's velocity changes as it rises and falls and the angle it makes changes as well.

Here is a picture from the internet that shows the projection angle ##\theta##. It is constant. What is changing continuously is the angle that the velocity vector forms with respect to the horizontal. At maximum height that angle is zero because the projectile is traveling parallel to the ground.

projectile-motion.jpg

Likes Doc Al

What is Project Motion/Trigonometry Question?

Project Motion/Trigonometry Question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves the use of mathematical principles, specifically those of motion and trigonometry, to analyze and solve problems related to objects in motion.

Why is understanding motion and trigonometry important in scientific research?

Motion and trigonometry are essential concepts in scientific research because they provide a mathematical framework for analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. This allows scientists to make accurate measurements, calculations, and predictions, which are crucial in understanding and explaining natural phenomena.

What are some real-life applications of Project Motion/Trigonometry Question?

Project Motion/Trigonometry Question has many practical applications, including analyzing the motion of projectiles, calculating the trajectory of a spacecraft, predicting the path of a hurricane, and understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

What are some common challenges when working on Project Motion/Trigonometry Question?

Some common challenges when working on Project Motion/Trigonometry Question include accurately measuring and recording data, accounting for external factors that may affect motion, and translating real-world scenarios into mathematical equations.

What skills are required to be successful in working on Project Motion/Trigonometry Question?

To be successful in working on Project Motion/Trigonometry Question, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically in the areas of motion and trigonometry. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills are crucial in approaching and solving complex problems in this field.