Projectile Motion football kick

In summary, to kick the ball from a point 35.0 m (about 38 yd) from the goal, the ball must clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. Its speed is 22.0 m/s at an angle of 52◦ to the horizontal.
Osbourne_Cox
1. A place kicker must kick a football from a point 35.0 m (about 38 yd) from the goal. As a result of the kick, the ball must clear the crossbar, which is 3.05 m high. When kicked, the ball leaves the ground with a speed of 22.0 m/s at an angle of 52◦ to the horizontal. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .

a) To determine if the ball clears the cross-bar, what is its height with respect to the crossbar when it reaches the plane of the crossbar?

b) To determine if the ball approaches the crossbar while still rising or while falling, what is its vertical velocity at the crossbar?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue! I haven't done physics in three years and simply don't remember where to begin! Please help! (:

Physics news on Phys.org
First, write out the kinematic equations for each direction, both x and y. Since there is no acceleration in the x direction, you can solve for t (the time it takes for the ball to get the plane of the crossbar). You can then plug this into the equation for the y direction and solve for the height of the ball after a time t.

Okay, so first I used x=Vxt to get a time of 1.6 s. Was that what I was supposed to do? Now, how do I find the height using that?

That is what you were supposed to do. To find the height use the same equation you used for the x direction except, since the y direction has acceleration, you will have the extra term -(1/2)at^2.

Okay. I have a question...as I was doing more questions, I noticed the equations Vxi=Vicostheta and Vyi=Visintheta.

Was I supposed to use those for Vx because i just subbed in the velocity, not the x component of the velocity.

Vxi = 22.0 m/s*cos(52)
Vyi= 22.0 m/s*sin(52)

So that gives me a time of 2.6 s instead.

Correct

Now, using that same equation, just for y with the extraterm -(1/2)at^2, does that give me the velocity when it is over the bar? and is the 9.8 a negative value? If so ( or if not ) could you kindly explain why? How is height determined from this value? thank you very much!

use y = v_o(t)+1/2a(t)^2. Use that to find the position of the ball after 2.6 seconds. Yes, 9.8 is negative due to the acceleration of gravity

Okay, that gives me a velocityat 2.6 s of 11.9 if a is positive or 78.1 if a is negative...how do I know which to use?

Osbourne_Cox said:
Okay, that gives me a velocityat 2.6 s of 11.9 if a is positive or 78.1 if a is negative...how do I know which to use?

y = 22*sin(52)(2.6)+.5(-9.8)(2.6)^2

That's how your equation should look.

Okay, so y=11.9

What is this y value? is it the velocity at 2.6 s?

Osbourne_Cox said:
Okay, so y=11.9

What is this y value? is it the velocity at 2.6 s?

Yes, @ 2.6s.

So would 11.9 be the answer for part b?

Osbourne_Cox said:
So would 11.9 be the answer for part b?

subtract the height of the crossbar from y @ 2.6 seconds. When you do that, that will tell you by how much the ball clears

Ah, I'm confused! subtract 3.05 from 11.9? what will that give me?

Osbourne_Cox said:
Ah, I'm confused! subtract 3.05 from 11.9? what will that give me?

11.9 - 3.05. = The height of the ball above the crossbar.

I put that in for the answer and it says I'm wrong.

Hoid on, let me check everything

Are all your initial values correct?

Yes, all of the values listed in the problem are correct.

Well, I got the ball will be 9.06 meters above the crossbar with a velocity of -7.95 and the negative means its falling. I had the same exact problem for homework but my values were a little different than yours. I used 2.58s as the time in your problem.

Those two answers are correct. Where did you get 2.58 s from?

When I divided 35.0/22.0*sin(52), I kept 3 significant digits.

Oh...Thank you very much for your help! I had no clue about this before, and now it doesn't seem that bad.

1. How does the angle of the kick affect the distance the football travels?

The angle of the kick is a crucial factor in determining the distance the football will travel. The optimal angle for maximum distance is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for a balance between vertical and horizontal velocity, resulting in the longest possible distance traveled.

2. What role does air resistance play in a football kick?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. In the case of a football kick, air resistance can decrease the distance the ball travels by slowing it down. The effect of air resistance is more significant for longer kicks, as the ball is in the air for a longer period of time.

3. How does the weight of the football affect its trajectory during a kick?

The weight of the football can affect its trajectory during a kick. A heavier football will require more force to kick it the same distance as a lighter football. This is because the heavier football will have more inertia and resistance to motion. However, the difference in trajectory between a heavy and light football will be minimal and difficult to detect.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a football kick?

The accuracy of a football kick can be affected by several factors, including the angle of the kick, the force and velocity of the kick, the weight of the football, and external factors such as wind and air resistance. The skill and technique of the kicker also play a significant role in the accuracy of the kick.

5. How does the surface affect the distance and trajectory of a football kick?

The surface on which a football is kicked can impact its distance and trajectory. A smooth and flat surface, such as a turf field, will provide less resistance and allow the ball to travel further. On the other hand, a rough or uneven surface, such as a grass field, can cause the ball to bounce or change direction, affecting its trajectory.