1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion: Height of hammer thrown downwards

1. Feb 24, 2017 #1
    Hey Guys, I have attempted the question below and need someone to check my work, please.

Thanks!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the hammer was tossed downward at 4.6 m/s from a height of 9.5 m above ground level, how high would it be after 0.75 s?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    20170224_173634[545].jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your result turned out okay. However, you should avoid rounding intermediate values to the number of significant figures. Keep a few extra digits in intermediate values, and only round your results at the end. Otherwise, rounding/'truncation errors will creep into your significant figures by the end of the calculations.

I'm changing your thread title to make it more descriptive of the problem being asked. Too-general thread titles, such as "Projectile motion" are not allowed as it is impossible to differentiate one such thread from another by thread title.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted