Projectile Motion Kenimatics in Two Deminisions?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum height of a projectile launched at a specific angle and velocity. There is some confusion about the formula being used, but it is determined that the correct formula is sin^2(theta) * velocity^2 divided by 2 * gravity. The group agrees that this is the correct answer.
alexas

Homework Statement

Find the maximum height of a projectile that as the following velocity and is launched at that angle.
Intial Velocity: 4.736 m/s
Angle (in degrees): 40
Gravity: -9.8 ?

I was thinking...

{((-4.736m/s)^2)(sin(40))}/{(-2)(g)} but the hieght comes out extremely low...

I have a feeling i am using a wrong formula... Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You really should be squaring the (sin40*Vo) but otherwise it won't go all that high will it, if the vertical component of Vo is about 1/3 of what gravity will knock down in 1 sec?

Sorry I meant to say the sin40 was also squared. Is the answer I get for thre sin^2 times v^2 divided by 2g the correct one?

alexas said:
Sorry I meant to say the sin40 was also squared. Is the answer I get for thre sin^2 times v^2 divided by 2g the correct one?

Looks ok to me.

1. What is projectile motion kinematics in two dimensions?

Projectile motion kinematics in two dimensions is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are launched into the air and are affected by gravity. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object as it moves through the air in two dimensions.

2. What is the formula for calculating the horizontal and vertical components of velocity in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating the horizontal and vertical components of velocity in projectile motion are:

Horizontal velocity = initial velocity * cos(angle)

Vertical velocity = initial velocity * sin(angle)

where the angle is the angle at which the object is launched.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile affected by the initial velocity and angle of launch?

The initial velocity and angle of launch directly affect the trajectory of a projectile. The initial velocity determines how fast the object will move and the angle of launch determines the direction of motion. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer and flatter trajectory, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter and steeper trajectory. Changing the angle of launch will change the shape of the trajectory.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of projectile motion calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of projectile motion calculations, including air resistance, variations in initial velocity, and variations in the angle of launch. The mass and shape of the object can also affect its trajectory. In addition, external forces such as wind or other objects can also impact the motion of the projectile.

5. How is the range of a projectile calculated in projectile motion kinematics?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula:

Range = (initial velocity2 * sin(2 * angle)) / g

where g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a flat surface. If air resistance is present, the range will be slightly less.