1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion of a baseball problem

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a baseball is thrown at an angle of 25 degrees relative to the ground at a speed of 23.0m/s. If the ball was caught 42 m from the thrower, how long was it in the air? how high did the ball travel before being caught?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

using x=(VicoxA)t --> 42/(23*cos25) i got 4.32
    and than using y=(23*sin25)4.32+1/2(-9.81)(4.32)^2 i got -49.5 >>y=(VisinA)t+1/2a(t)^2)
    but in the back of the book it says its wrong so can someone please tell me what i did wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    using x=(VicoxA)t --> 42/(23*cos25) i got 4.32
    and than using y=(23*sin25)4.32+1/2(-9.81)(4.32)^2 i got -49.5 >>y=(VisinA)t+1/2a(t)^2)
    but in the back of the book it says its wrong so can someone please tell me what i did wrong?[/QUOTE

The formula for projectile motion is the Y direction is going to be delta y=Vt -1/2gt^2 assuming gravity is -9.8. As a result of this double negative you end up adding the latter half of the equation where it appears you have subracted by adding a negative. Give that a try and see if it gives you a better answer

4. Feb 23, 2008 #3
    well....look at your second step: you are not calculating the hightest point...(and i'm not sure but -49.5 is not right: you are saiyng that y=-49.5?? the ball must be underground...xD)

hint: In the hightest point, the ball as no speed in y axis...^_^

5. Feb 23, 2008 #4
    ooo thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?