Projectile motion of a fired cannonball

In summary, a cannonball is fired at an angle of 45.0 ° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 90.0 m/s. It strikes point A on top of a cliff 8.7 seconds later, and ignoring air resistance, the cannonball reaches a maximum height of 206.42 meters and travels a horizontal distance of 553.66 meters. To find the height of the cliff, the formula s = ut + 0.5at^2 must be used with the correct acceleration, which is -9.81 ms^-2 in this case. To find the speed of the cannonball just before it hits point A, both the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity must be calculated and then
roam

Homework Statement

A cannonball is fired with an initial speed of 90.0 m/s at an angle 45.0 ° above the horizontal (see diagram). The cannonball strikes point A on top of a cliff 8.7 s seconds after being fired. Ignore air resistance in this problem.

How high is the cliff? (correct answer is: 183 meters)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v_{iy}=90 sin(45)=63.63[/tex]

[tex]y=v_{iy}t+ \frac{1}{2}(a)t^2=63.63 \times 8.7 + 0.5 (9.81)\times 8.7^2 = 924.8[/tex]

But why is this wrong? :confused:

P.S. I also know that the the maximum height the cannonball reaches is 206.42 and I have already calculated that point A is 553.66 meters horizontally from the cannon. Not sure if this helps...

Physics news on Phys.org
you used the formula s = ut + 0.5at^2, the acceleration in this case is in the opposite direction of the motion of the cannonball, so effectively it is decellerating it. So instead of 9.81ms^-2 you need to plug in -9.81ms^-2.

I also have another relevant question:

Calculate the speed of the cannonball just before it hits A.

I used the formula [tex]v=v_i + at = 90 + (\pm 9.81)8.7[/tex]

I have tried both 9.81ms-2 and -9.81ms-2, but neither seem to give the correct answer. Am I using the wrong formula or something? :rolleyes:

roam said:
I also have another relevant question:

Calculate the speed of the cannonball just before it hits A.

I used the formula [tex]v=v_i + at = 90 + (\pm 9.81)8.7[/tex]

With that formula you are only finding the vertical component of the speed of the cannonball. Remember that the ball is moving in the horizontal plane aswell.

Also, make sure that you use the correct sign infront of the 9.81ms-2. If gravity is acting in favor of the direction of the object, it's accellerating it, otherwise it's decellerating it and hence must be accounted for differently.

Last edited:
Lunat1c said:
With that formula you are only finding the vertical component of the speed of the cannonball. Remember that the ball is moving in the horizontal plane aswell.

Also, make sure that you use the correct sign infront of the 9.81 9.81ms-2. If gravity is acting in favor of the direction of the object, it's accellerating it, otherwise it's decellerating it and hence must be accounted for differently.

So, what formula would you propose? :confused:

Once you find the horizontal velocity, you need to add the two together (vectorially) to get the resultant velocity which is probably what you're being asked for.

Lunat1c said:
Once you find the horizontal velocity, you need to add the two together (vectorially) to get the resultant velocity which is probably what you're being asked for.

I didn't know that the formula v=vi + at is only for the vertical velocity. Is there a formula that gives us the resultant velocity?

Does the formula v=xt give the horizontal velocity? If so then 553.66x8.7=1816.8, and if we add the two together we get 1816.8+4.7=1821.45. But this is very different from the correct answer (183 meters)!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object (in this case, a fired cannonball) through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. How does the angle of the cannon affect the trajectory of the cannonball?

The angle of the cannon affects the initial velocity of the cannonball, which in turn affects the range and height of the cannonball's trajectory. A higher angle will result in a higher initial velocity and a longer range, while a lower angle will result in a lower initial velocity and a shorter range.

3. What factors affect the range of a fired cannonball?

The range of a fired cannonball is affected by the initial velocity, angle of the cannon, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the range.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a fired cannonball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the motion of the cannonball. This can result in a shorter range and a lower peak height compared to if there were no air resistance.

5. Can the motion of a fired cannonball be accurately predicted?

Yes, the motion of a fired cannonball can be accurately predicted using mathematical equations and taking into account the initial conditions such as angle, initial velocity, and gravity. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can make it more difficult to predict the exact trajectory of the cannonball.