Projectile motion on inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving projectile motion on a slope. The object is projected upward at an angle α with the horizontal plane and continues to travel along the surface of the slope. The question asks for the initial speed v0, but there is a mistake in the attempted solution due to a misinterpretation of the angles involved. The correct answer can be found by considering the vertical and horizontal components of the motion separately.
songoku

Homework Statement

As shown in the figure below, small object A is projected upward along a smooth slope forming angle α with the horizontal plane, with initial speed v0 in the direction of angle θ from the horizontal within the slope’s plane. The object continues to travel along the surface of the slope. Let us denote as h the maximum height that A attains on the slope, where height is measured vertically from A’s starting point. Find v0
aszx_zpsz5raqsdb.png

Homework Equations

projectile motion

The Attempt at a Solution

I interpret the question as projectile motion with total angle (α + θ) with respect to horizontal plane.

At maximum height, vertical speed is zero, so:
vy2 = voy2 - 2gh

v0 = √(2gh) / (sin (α + θ))

But the answer is v0 = √(2gh) / (sin θ)

Do I interpret the question wrongly? Or there is mistake in my working?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angles don't add in the way you think.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
I interpret the question as projectile motion with total angle (α + θ) with respect to horizontal plane.
You misinterpreted the question. The ball moves "within" the slopes plane, I mean, it does not go "above" the plane.

Likes songoku
CWatters said:
The angles don't add in the way you think.

arpon said:
You misinterpreted the question. The ball moves "within" the slopes plane, I mean, it does not go "above" the plane.

I get the hint. Thanks a lot

What is projectile motion on an inclined plane?

Projectile motion on an inclined plane refers to the movement of an object that is launched or thrown on a surface that is not horizontal, but instead has an angle of inclination. This motion is affected by both the force of gravity and the angle of the inclined plane.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile on an inclined plane?

The trajectory of a projectile on an inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of inclination, and the force of gravity. The shape and weight of the projectile may also play a role in its trajectory.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane?

The range of a projectile on an inclined plane can be calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of inclination, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation takes into account the effects of both the angle of inclination and the force of gravity on the projectile's trajectory.

What is the difference between projectile motion on a horizontal plane and an inclined plane?

The main difference between projectile motion on a horizontal plane and an inclined plane is that on an inclined plane, the force of gravity acts at an angle, rather than straight downward. This changes the trajectory of the projectile, as it is now affected by both the horizontal and vertical components of gravity.

What real-life applications use projectile motion on an inclined plane?

Projectile motion on an inclined plane has many real-life applications, such as in sports like skiing and skateboarding, where the incline of a ramp affects the trajectory of the athlete. It is also used in engineering and construction, where objects may need to be launched at an angle to reach certain heights or distances.