Projectiles On An Inclined Plane

In summary, a projectile is an object that moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. An inclined plane is a tilted surface that makes it easier to move objects from a lower point to a higher point. The angle of the inclined plane affects the motion of a projectile, with steeper angles resulting in shorter horizontal distances and shallower angles resulting in longer horizontal distances. The range of a projectile is maximum when the angle of the inclined plane is 45 degrees. To calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane, the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g can be used.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A particle is projected with initial speed u at an angle tan-inverse(1/2) to an inclined plane. The plane contains the point of projection and makes an angle tan-inverse(3/4) with the horizontal. Show that the angle at which the particle strikes the plane is tan-inverse(2)

Homework Equations

the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane is the taken as the horizontal(i axis) and the perpendicular of the line of greatest slope is taken as the j axis.

S=ut + 1/2(a)(t^2)

V = u + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the angle which the object was projected to the plane. I called it A

tan(( tan-inverse(1/2) - tan-inverse(3/4) ) = 2/11 ... TanA =2/11

cosA = 11/(5√5) ...... sinA = 2/(5√5)

I tried to find the time when the object lands This is when the perpendicular distance from the plane is zero( Sy = 0)

Sy = u(2u / 5√5)t - (1/2)(4g/5)t^2

simplify and t = u/(g√5)

the angle when the object lands is given by TanB = A | (Vy)/(Vx) | (where the time is when the object lands.)

Vy
= u(2u/5√5) - g(4/5)(u/g√5)

= 2u/5√5 - 4u/5√5

= -2u/5√5

Vx = u(11/5√5) - g(3/5)(u/g√5)

simplify and Vx = 8u/5√5

when you divide Vy/Vx = 1/4

Im not sure what I did wrong but I think it might be something to do with "The plane contains the point of projection".
Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:
A particle is projected with initial speed u at an angle tan-inverse(1/2) to an inclined plane. The plane contains the point of projection and makes an angle tan-inverse(3/4) with the horizontal. Show that the angle at which the particle strikes the plane is tan-inverse(2)

I tried to find the angle which the object was projected to the plane. I called it A

tan(( tan-inverse(1/2) - tan-inverse(3/4) ) = 2/11

You do not need to find that angle: it is given. Read the sentence in bold.

ehild

ehild said:
You do not need to find that angle: it is given. Read the sentence in bold.

ehild

Oh, For some reason I thought that it said it was the angle from the projection to the horizontal. I just did the question again using what you said and got the right answer. Thanks for the help.

You are welcome. Nice solution!

ehild

Your approach to finding the angle at which the particle strikes the plane is correct, but there are a few errors in your calculations. First, when finding the time when the object lands, you should use the full expression for Sy, which is u(2u/5√5)t - (1/2)(4g/5)t^2. This will give you a quadratic equation, and you can use the quadratic formula to solve for t. Also, in your calculation of Vy, you have a mistake in your simplification. It should be 2u/5√5 - 4u/5√5 = -2u/5√5, not -4u/5√5. Finally, when finding the angle at which the object lands, you should use the full expression for Vx, which is u(11/5√5) - g(3/5)(u/g√5). This will give you a different value for Vx, and when you divide Vy/Vx, you should get tanB = 2, which is the desired result. Overall, your approach is correct, but you just need to be more careful with your calculations.

What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, making it easier to move objects from a lower point to a higher point by reducing the amount of force required.

How does an inclined plane affect the motion of a projectile?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion. The steeper the angle, the greater the vertical component and the shorter the horizontal distance traveled. The shallower the angle, the smaller the vertical component and the longer the horizontal distance traveled.

What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the range of the projectile?

The range of the projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. The range is maximum when the angle of the inclined plane is 45 degrees, as this angle maximizes the horizontal distance traveled while minimizing the vertical distance.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane?

To calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane, you can use the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity of the projectile, θ is the angle of the inclined plane, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula assumes that the projectile is launched from the bottom of the inclined plane and lands at the same height.